I found a GM engine in an unopened crate while cleaning out my Grandma’s garage. In Edmonton, Alberta.
From what I have been able to find through searching is that it is a 1958-1962 261 engine short block in line 6 with pistons, pins, rings, and the crankshaft bearings. Have attached a picture of it.
I finally decided I had to open it. Everyone who inquired about it wanted it opened first before considering it. It seems there was 0 interest in a unopened sealed crate. Which is entirely fair. I wouldn't buy it either sealed, but I am also not a car person and don't know what it is. Maybe it has value to someone if sealed.
Also, as far as I know the only parts with it are pistons, pins, rings, and the crankshaft bearings.
As far as price goes, no one has been able to confirm a real value on it and as I have always stated, I have no clue.
To GMCanada9430 and some others in that other thread: Do I think it could be a original Spiderman #1 still in its wrapping, yes. But I also think I could be sending it to the scrap yard because its worthless. Speaking to different car aficionados I have received value estimates varying from $300 to $5000. So you may need to forgive me for not knowing things about engines and not being able to find anyone who can tell me what I have exactly. Last thing I was going to do was rip open something I knew nothing about before fully investigating it first, or giving it away to the first person to inquire.
So to everyone out there; what is it worth? What is the real value? Even no one here has been able to answer that yet. I don't want to know what you would pay for it, I want to know the real value if any. A lot of people out there will pay me $200, but those people don't know what I have either. They are just looking for any old engine for the cheapest price for whatever random car they have.
And one last thing. Grandmas house needs to be cleared out by August 31. So If it is still here by August 31, its going to the scrap yard.
You might be able to sell it to this company: https://chevysupplyofassonet.com/chevy_engines.htm but they would pay wholesale, which would probably be no more than $500. Used 261's go for $200 to $500, but this is a brand new factory-built short block. I spent about $1600 to rebuild my 235, so that gives you some idea of what a "new" engine goes for.
You DO NOT have a "short block". You have a "piston-fitted block" that was sold by dealer parts departments to replace engine blocks that had been freeze-cracked, or just plain worn out. A short block is an assembled engine, with a crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods, rod and main bearings, and valve lifters. All a short block needs to run is an oil pump, swapping of the sheet metal from the old engine, and a reconditioned cylinder head. Your fitted block is short a LOT of those pieces. The fact that it's new, and has new pistons and rings is a plus. A realistic price in my area (middle Tennessee) for an item like yours would be considerably less than $1,000.00 US. If you're willing to deliver it to my place 70 miles south of Nashville, I'll make a firm offer of $700.00 (Yes, moderators, I know this isn't the Swap Meet- - - -get your manties un-wadded! LOL!) The offer is for reference only! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
baldeagle and Hotrod Lincoln, that Is the most useful data I have received yet. Thank you. Engine shops and classic car guys in the Edmonton area could not tell me that. These are the same guys that gave me prices ranges of $300 to $5000. Never heard the term piston-fitted block before. Everyone told me it was a short block, which didn't mean much to me.
As Hot Rod points out, it doesn't have a crankshaft, camshaft or lifters, although it does appear to have the crank bearings. It's also missing the piston rods.If he was serious about the $700, I'd take him up on it.
Other than the connecting rods (wrist pin size is different) parts from a 235 could be used to complete the assembly. A crankshaft, camshaft, valve lifters, oil pump, water pump, distributor, pushrods, etc. and all the sheet metal will interchange. An 848 cylinder head for a late model 235 can be adapted by drilling a few holes to match up to coolant passages in the 261 block. The 848 casting number head also increases the compression a little. If it was a little closer to me, I'd definitely be interested. A set of 261 pistons alone would cost $200.00+, and having new rings, rod and main bearings is also a good thing! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!