The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131754 03/03/2004 4:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6
I am resto-modifying my 53 3100 pickup. I want an independent front suspension, but I have no welding experience. I read on another site that I could use the front suspension of a 77-89 c-10 2wd pickup and with a 1/2 inch spacer plate on either side, it supposidly bolts right up to my frame. Has anyone ever heard of doing this, or better yet, done it themselves?

#131755 03/03/2004 4:54 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 142
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 142
I have heard of it and have seen a link somewhere on it. Seems to me someone had told me that the track width was a bit too wide though . Try
http:/50chevy.freeservers.com That is where I saw the link!

#131756 03/03/2004 4:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
Bulldog, take a look at the thread titled
"Adding a IFS to a 37 1/2 ton"
which is currently running in this forum. A link to site describing one such project is listed there. Also see Wayne Osborne\'s writeup for another good description.

This swap is some work, but if you want to have a truck when you're done, rather than a car that looks like a truck, it's the best way IMO.

Note that while the basic installation of the suspension is a bolt-in, there will be some welding required for things like motor mounts.

Joe

#131757 03/04/2004 5:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 6
Thanks for the info Joe. I am currently going to school for auto restoration in Mcpherson KS, and I asked one of my teachers about this swap and he did not see why it would not work.....When the rain stops I am gonna give it a try. It's worth the $250 from the junkyard for the learning experience alone, and if it doesn't work, i will just break down and buy a new bolt on IFS. The only part that concerns me is the amount the wheels will stick out. How big of an offset am I looking at to counter the extra 2 inches on each side the '77 suspension adds? I was told ofset wheels are hard on your wheel bearings. Am I sacraficing good looks for quality by doing this, or the other way around? Lemme know what y'all think. Thanks.
Josh

#131758 03/04/2004 10:07 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
I plan on doing this same swap. From what I have read, the suspension is only 1/2" wider on each side. Also, parts for these front suspensions are easy to find and inexpensive. I bought a whole 1976 Chevy truck for $40.00, cut the frame just in front of the cab, and crushed the rest. I have yet to find another alternative for that cheap. I just wish that I would have kept the hydraulic power brake booster as my camshaft limits the amount of vacuum that my engine will produce. Let me know how your suspension swap works. You may want to provide pictures, dimensions, ect.

Phil


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
#131759 03/05/2004 2:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 272
I bought and had someone weld my IFS on.
Looking back I should have kept the straight axle and used the money for engine rebuilding.
If I had I would be way closer to driving right now.


Don't you know who I think I am?
I've been thinkin' about freaking out. If I could just find the time.
http://community.webshots.com/user/ifrizlfri
#131760 03/05/2004 5:20 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
Bulldog,

The IFS is about 7" wider from hub to hub than the stock front end, at least for the 3/4 ton. I imagine the 1/2 ton is very close if not exactly the same. So that's about 3-1/2" per side. The stock 3/4 ton wheels have about 3" backset. Wayne Osborne used wheels with 4-1/2" backset and mounted fairly narrow tires. I used wheels with 6" backset and mounted fairly beefy tires. I posted a photo in the '37 IFS thread that's also running in this forum that shows how they set in the fenders.

My feeling is that the later wheel bearings and hubs are sturdier than the stock hardware, and that they will handle the offset without difficulty. I'm going to tow a 25 ft. fifth wheel trailer with mine. Time will tell, but I'm not the least bit worried about it.

Phil 1953 GMC,

The frame is different by about 1/2"-3/4" per side, but as mentioned above the hub-to-hub difference is close to 7".

Joe

#131761 03/08/2004 8:11 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
I stand corrected.


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0