The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Otto Skorzeny), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Gents,

I need some assistance if anyone can. My wife is moving out of our house while I am in TX. I have a metal lathe up for grabs and need someone to help me get the 216 to Hotrod Lincoln. He wants all the parts off of it since the block is bad.

Chris

Last edited by Peggy M; 05/22/2023 6:35 PM. Reason: added more info to the title
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
When, where and how soon?
Are you moving the Lathe or does your wife need some help moving?
I know where Jerry lives and he has always been a great host at his farm.

Road trip with a detour in downtown Memphis on a Saturday night?
PM me on what is needed and how soon.
June is pretty much taken up with plans already for me.

Don

Last edited by 2-Ton; 06/02/2019 12:25 AM.

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
She is having a garage sale 15 June, we have to be out of the house nlt mid July.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
How about some details on the lathe? That might make a long road trip worth the effort. Plus the 216 engine, of course!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Jerry,

I don’t know anything about it. My grandfather gave it to me and it’s still in the container he packed it in. My wife didn’t even know it was there so she won’t be any help.

Chris

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
What does it weigh, about how big is the container, or how have you moved it before, gives a clue to size without seeing the actual lathe?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
I spoke up first, so have first dibs!
Will it all fit into a full size pickup?
Or will I need a trailer?

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
You better hurry up Don! I'm already on the road.
I am not sure if or what he is giving away, but as long as it isn't a wife, I'm in. smile smile smile


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
It is taken apart and inside a large tote. If I remember correctly, I had to drag it around the house to get it into the basement, because I couldn’t carry it in the container. Let me ask the wife to pop the lid and take a picture.

Chris

Last edited by ndkid275; 06/03/2019 4:51 AM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Probably a nice little bench top South Bend or similar.
Any lathe you can drag around isn’t that substantial.

If it were a little tiny Atlas or Craftsmen you could pick it up easily

I’m guessing 6” swing 24” to 36” bed or a little larger but not by much, not 10 or 12” swing.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
My 12" swing Atlas/Craftsman lathe with 36" between centers is a pretty hefty load for 3 people. Maybe 300 lbs. or a bit more?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Darn you Carl !!!
I had first dibs!
But like Grigg said, It must be a table top lathe at best.

Chris, Hold on to it and let us check it out at the next Homecoming.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Don,

As much as I would love to hold onto it, I have to get it out of my house. I am in Texas and wife is renting out our house. I will know by next weekend if my buddy can throw it in a truck and bring it west.

Chris

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Here is the only picture that I have!
Attachments

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Looks like an atlas/craftsman.
Take the router table out, don’t stack stuff on the lathe as all the little handles are fragile pot metal.
Picture of mine for scale.
Attachments
15B5CDB4-534B-4286-8F97-A62C834911FE.jpeg (162.37 KB, 144 downloads)


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Do not stack giant boots on those lathes.I heard somewhere that the handles are fragile. smile smile smile


Dang Grigg, you tossed up a grapefruit that even I could knock out of the park.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Well, I thought it was hard to understand these lathes were so small and took a boot off for
the photo for scale, promptly put it back on my foot.
Notice the broken handle, bumped it walking by one day, wasn’t expecting it to be so fragile.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Looks like a 6" swing Atlas/Craftsman, with about 12" between centers. I've got one like that stashed away in the barn- - - -never really figured out much of a use for it, since I've got 4 other, larger lathes to tinker with!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Ok, anyone else that would like to come get it?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Put it on Craigslist, people think these little ones are worth a few/several hundred dollars. I haven’t gotten around to doing so with mine. Like Jerry says, not much use when more capable lathes are available.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
I wouldn't even know how to turn it on!

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
Chris, PM me your address and I will pick it up and hold it for you or whoever.
It wouldn’t be until Sunday or early next week after work that I could get it. I will be in Raleigh until Saturday afternoon


~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
Chris,

I can go by and pick up the engine and strip it for Hot Rod if you want.

Hotrod Lincoln,
What parts do you want? I'm guessing pistons, rods and sheet metal? How do you want them shipped?

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Russ,
That would be great! Do you want the lathe also? I only ask that you take pictures of whatever broke on the inside.

Chris

Last edited by ndkid275; 06/16/2019 2:46 AM.
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
Chris,
Not a problem. Is it drained of coolant and oil? Give me about a week to get the trailer emptied first. I'd like to pick up the lathe as well.

Russell

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Sounds good! The engine is empty I drained radiator through the oil pan (green oil came out) and then drained through the petcock on the back of the engine.


Moderated by  Bill Marlow, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0