Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2019 Posts: 17 | Hi: As my thread count shows, I am very new here. Also this is my first AD truck, a 1953 GMC 3/4 ton. I always loved this body shapes and when I came across one I had to buy it otherwise as you can see in my sig I have few project that I am working on currently. So, I am trying to weigh my option while I am tearing this truck for clean up. I see a lot of people with 3/4 tons swap their driveline to 1/2 either with frame swap (mainly S10) , axle and front end swap or IFS. This is what I know I want to do with this truck since I have most of these parts: 5.3/4.8 vortec, 5 or 6 speed manual, complete 12 volt rewire and keep the patina, that's it! That is all I know. I prefer to keep this truck 8 lug although I don't mind to soften the ride to 1/2 tone level. I want to swap to all 4 corner disc brakes. Currently the truck has rear HO52. I have done an 8 lug disc swap on my 1967 HO52 and that is no problem depend upon what gears this one may have. I even thought about a 14 bolt swap with more desirable gears which may come with stock disc brakes in later model chevy trucks. My main questions/concerns are about the front end. Online, I have not seen anybody swap their 3/4 ton to more modern front end. I see there is a 8 lug disc swap for 55 and newer 3/4 tons. I contacted the seller and the kit may work for my 1953 although I may need to so minor alteration but then I am left with the old front solid axle. I am sure I need to completely rebuild it but the parts seems not to be that common and based on what I read what is available is mainly low quality except one vendor. So the question is, how this front ends drive at 60-70 miles per hour? Does the cost of rebuilding worth the effort? This truck will not be a daily driver but I want it to be comfortable/safe if I want to drive it couple of hours to go to a gathering or something. Is there any more modern front end options for 8 lug trucks? Money is not unlimited and of course that is big factor in selecting parts. Since I am going a vortec route, I guess I need to modify the steering gears and possibly go rack and pinion rout. When I think about that, rack and pinion (0ver $900 new), disc brake($500-700) and rebuilding the whole front end (Few hundred at least), why not go with a IFS kit? I thought to give couple of vendors to see if a 8 lug rotor can be retrofitted to their disc brake kit (or perhaps use a wheel adaptor?) but now we are talking about serious $$, besides, I really want to keep the truck at stock height. My understanding is the S10 frames and IFS kits lower the truck. So, let me hear what you think about these ideas and if you have any suggestions. At the end, although I have not done any rebuild at this level, but I am okay with cars, wiring, basic fabrications and welding. Sorry about the long story! Thanks
Last edited by Self; 06/05/2019 5:18 AM.
1953 GMC 150: new member 1967 Chevy C20, 4 wheel 8 lug disc, 350 engine with Fitech carb (in progress) , T5 1972 Chevy Nova, 4 door sport sedan in the making  1979 Chevy Camaro Z28, 5,3 Vortec and TH350, 4 wheel disc and Hydroboost; Just about becoming summer daily driver
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 | I think we're all in love with the classic curves of AD truck bodies!
An original AD front end will drive great at freeways speeds if all the components are in tip-top condition. Disc brake conversion not a bad idea however. I guess the question regarding a total suspension change is, how long can you tolerate having your truck under construction, costing you time and money without ever getting to enjoy driving it while it's undergoing a major rebuild for months or even years?
1951 Chevy Panel Truck
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Self, Welcome to Stovebolt.com 1947-1955 (through mid 1955 Z-series) GMCs were named New Design (ND) Trucks, and 1947-1955st (first series) Chevrolet trucks were named Advance-Design (A-D) Trucks. In many regards, the GMCs & Chevrolets were very similar, having different front-end sheet metal, and different radiators, engines, and front frame design and minor dash/gauge differences (47-53). GMCs had positive ground electrical systems and Chevrolets had negative ground electrical systems. Nevertheless, you will find a lot of help here. In each new thread/post/question state the make, year, model of your truck. There is another discussion board that you might find helpful: oldGMCtrucks.comHowever, there are probably many more members here who have done conversions similar to what you are thinking about doing. | | |
| |