The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Well here goes. Let me start by saying this forum is actually a continuance from the Driveline forum I started a bit ago. I pulled the trigger the last second on a Ebay truck that was not exactly what I was hoping for, which is the 66 c20 body on a 60 to 66 k10 frame from Ohio. Which I towed home myself and didn't have the shipping expense, besides time and fuel. The motor is a 75ish 350 from the #s. Trans is a 4 speed manual. It does have the 221 transfer case. Dana 44 front. 10bolt nonposi in rear. All will probly be listed for sale at some point down the line. The k10 frame needs a ton of work that im not interested in doing so I started looking around and posted a CL ad wanting a 60s c20 roller. A guy responded with a 63 GMC 2500 ex fire/water rolling chassis complete from rad to rearend with 10xxx miles. And only about 15 miles from me. I couldn't resist so this is now going to be the bottom half of my new baby. I just got the roller home yesterday and this is what I know so far. It has a 305 v6, 4 speed manual trans with a pto attached that pumped water from what im told. I did hear the truck run a week or so ago and actually pulled out of a garage under its own power b4 63 fire body was removed. A couple odd things ive found so far are as follows..

It has a hydraulic clutch witch I didnt expect to see. The clutch master is part of the brake master so 2 holes were in the firewall to accept that setup, I only have 1 in the c20 body. The roller also has a vacumm brake booster of sorts that was attached to d/s inner fender. Ive never seen this b4. The body I have needs some patching so it might be a bit b4 the actual transition occurs. Im going to por-15 the frame also. The rear cab mounts on the roller are somethin else I have not seen either. Im still undecided on the bed im going to use, wheelbase is a bit longer and it has a 60 inch cab/axle measurement. Any suggestions?? Ill try to post pics as I go. Be patient with me, ive never documented a project b4..
Attachments
2019022495132819_2.jpg (394.57 KB, 118 downloads)
IMG_20190520_142257694.jpg (189.88 KB, 119 downloads)
IMG_20190519_112814718_HDR.jpg (241.55 KB, 118 downloads)
IMG_20190526_141202992.jpg (159.29 KB, 115 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 08/28/2023 5:42 PM.
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Happy Memorial Day. We all have something to be thankful for. If ya dont know, ITS YOUR FREEDOM AND THE PEOPLE WHO DIED FOR IT. Ok enough preaching to da quire.. I didn't get a chance todo much today. But I did a chance to check the #s on my new roller. It is a 1st year 1963 305E. I guess I should of checked that b4. I guess I was atad bit excited about my find. Ive did alittle reading on some other build threads and wanted everyone to know that this might not be as pretty and professionally put together as others on here. Im not a body man to say the least, but ill give it hell. Ill post as I go. Just dont be expecting a new truck in the end. But it will function and work as designed. Happy Holiday once again.

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Ok another long day and little progress. Got to da shop later than I wanted, because of I guess the lack of work today. As soon as I walked in da door I noticed a wet trail leading from under my 63 chassis. The only crappy looking brake line decided to retire to scrap land and sprung a leak. I actually fixed it because I didn't want the master to empty. And I actually had the right size and length brake line on hand. The line was in the l/f near the exhaust heat riser. So I touched it to see if it was stuck and guess what? It was and still is stuck. Project for another day. I think its stuck in the closed position tho. grrr. I then decided to scrape the frame to remove the stuff that dont belong. In the process of that I decided to remove unwanted hangers, bolts, etc to make the process better. And it was actually. Needs a muffler too. But also decided that brush on frame coating aint happening. To many things cracks and crevices, holes and parts. Especially in the front suspension. All will get sprayed I guess.. Next the previous owner attempted to remove the pinch bolt at the steering box with no luck, so he cut the column instead. I thought I could do a better job of bolt removal considering I done many b4. 2 hrs later, I ended up cutting open the pinched part after drilling bolt, air hammering open and actually got it off with out touching the shaft 1 bit.. Yea me.. The problem with not just leaving it alone was that I couldn't tell if the nut was broke off the bolt or was the bolt screwed into the pinch part of the shaft. It was screwed in so it could of stayed but not knowing would of killed me. and my other shaft in the 66 body has a nut on the end and not screwed in. Go figure. ha. Something that did happen tho was the really big nut, 1 3/4, came loose on the top of the steering box. Im not sure what the torque spec should be? I just leaned on it with a wrench. If ya know, let me know PLEASE. What is the lube that goes in the steering box also? I assume gear lube? Tomorrow is another day. Hopefully better.. ohwell
Attachments
IMG_20190528_133022150.jpg (152.59 KB, 93 downloads)
IMG_20190528_164559714.jpg (167.82 KB, 94 downloads)
IMG_20190528_185124895.jpg (132.27 KB, 94 downloads)
IMG_20190528_185207292.jpg (124.87 KB, 94 downloads)
IMG_20190528_164643926.jpg (162.86 KB, 93 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Did abit of research on the tightening the top of steering box. Im probly abit tight, eeee. As for the steering gear lude, Ill try 80w140 or so since the box is dry, If it leaks, Ill Corn head it if I can find it..

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Oh 1 more thought b4 I actually do something constructive today. I was routing around on here getting bed ideas for this setup Im piecing together. I cant remember who is doing it, but there is a guy who was building a 9 ft dually bed for his project. Man that is sweet, I want one.

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Found da 9ft bed project. Hats off to ya Fox. Awesome job. If you are selling them, let me know..

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Ok folks I was back at again. This is really going to be a hodgepodge of parts turned into a truck. But its keeping me interested. I welded in the 1st of many patch panels today, which was the d/s cowl bottom. The p/s is going to way more involved. I took off the door seals thinking it would be quik and easy, NOT.. Then had to wire wheel and wizzer wheel both openings to get all da dam glue off. Way more of a chore than I was expecting. But aint everything? I scraped the frame and degreased it also last nite but needs done again b4 paint.

Alittle side story today in the garage while grinding and welding.....The guy next store to the garage i rent stopped over today to tell me that he just bought a new corvette. Which we have had previous conversation about this in the past. So i said good finally, bla bla bla. He looks at my rolling chassis and says, what are you doing with that? i said the 66 body is going on it and im going to drive it. He said you will probly only get 4 mpg. I said So, do you think i drive anything for the purpose of fuel economy? Then i added that i drive what i drive because i like what i drive.. He looked at me like i was an alien. He really didn't get it, or have a clue about my opinion about old iron, I guess if i back my 1 ton over the hood of that new Corvette, he will figure it out..LOL
Attachments
IMG_20190530_173537187.jpg (134.99 KB, 78 downloads)
IMG_20190530_172706009.jpg (151.34 KB, 77 downloads)
IMG_20190530_175023191.jpg (106.19 KB, 73 downloads)
IMG_20190425_135857183.jpg (138.76 KB, 70 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Please let me take a moment to remind you of the site rules. This is a family friendly site and profanity/expletives are frowned upon. This also includes the use of signs, numbers and symbols to disguise the use of improper language. Even mild profanity such as you use is against the rules. Your posts are interesting and your participation is welcomed just clean it up a bit. Thanks, the management.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Didn't mean to offend anyone. Didn't realize that such a small word, that i wont use again, would trigger a warning...Sorry

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
No problem, carry on.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
You can find the corn grease all day long at your local tractor supply business. Find your john deere guy and he will have it on the shelf.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Thanks. I actually just took at your truck and story in the gallery. Both the story and the truck are awesome.

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Ive been thinking lately. Ive been spending more time talking about this project than literally working on it. Im actually going to end this journal now. I will be an active member of this website but i think this project is not really journal material. There are really a lot of super nice projects that will hold your interest longer. Thanks to all. Talk soon.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0