The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck, 5cameo8, TUTS 59, Youngin' Tut 59, Gray_Ghost), 93 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,599
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1310585 05/13/2019 11:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
Hi members.
I’m about to change my fuel pump in my 49 Chevy truck (235 ci). I e cleaned the old gasket off completely. When putting the new gasket I’m planning on using a sealant on both sides of the gasket. Any other special instructions I need to know? I don’t want any gas leaks. Installation seems simple. 2 bolts into block plus connections of fuel line. Thanks.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
You could try to rotate the crankshaft (via harmonic balancer) until the lobe on the camshaft is a low-spot (might be hard to determine by finger-feel in the hole in the block?).

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
I wasn’t aware that the arm of the fuel pump had to hit a certain low point on the crankshaft.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
What I described is not necessary.

It might make it easier to install the fuel pump - the arm on the pump will not be pushing against a "high spot" on the cam lobe.


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
By doing as Tim suggested, it relieves some tension on the pump arm thus making it a bit easier to get the bolts started. As he also said it not necessary just requires a bit more fiddling.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Its a good idea to glue the gasket to the pump with gasket cement or trim cement. Let it dry good. that way it can't shift on you as you are installing it. You can put a light film of RTV on the other side to be sure of no leaks.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
The gasket most likely will not leak anyway. It came for the factory without any sealant. That is if the gasket is the right material to work with ethanol.


Professional Novice
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Which gasket are you talking about, the one between the pump and the engine block, or the one for the glass filter dome on the pump? Neither one needs any sealer at all. By introducing sealer into the mix you're more likely to create a leak, not prevent one. The pump-to-block gasket won't leak gas anyway- - - -it's there to seal oil. Use a little brush-on Permatex if it makes you feel better, but it isn't necessary as long as the sealing surfaces are clean. The cork gasket for the sight glass doesn't need any sealer, and definitely don't use some sort of rubber-base stuff like RTV! Any residue will end up in the carburetor, clogging up jets and/or causing flooding.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
Been running a glass filter fuel pump on my 49 216 for nearly 7 yrs and 23K miles. No leaks and no sealant on the glass bowl gasket. I did use alittle Aviation permatex on the pump to block gasket, mainly to hold it up while mounting the pump.

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
This makes sense Hotrod Lincoln. I’ll take your advice. Thanks.

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
My first attempt at installation of fuel pump was not successful. I’m sure there is trick to it. When putting the pump against the block the gasket is moving. I had to permatex the gasket to the block. After the gasket dries, when I try to assemble the pump and I push and wiggle the pump so the bolts line up, the arm of the pump goes upward. Is this correct?

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
Update.After a lot of struggling I managed to get it bolted on. Mission accomplished. Now I’m waiting for a new gas line pump to Carb and then I can start it. I hope there are no leaks. 🤞

Last edited by roberts49chevy; 05/20/2019 12:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Even with the camshaft lobe at its low point, there's a fair amount of spring pressure against the fuel pump lever arm. If you happen to try installing the pump with the high point of the cam lobe facing outward, there's a LOT of spring pressure to deal with. That's why some of the above comments recommend turning the engine over until the cam lobe is facing away from the hole in the block. Once you install a few dozen pumps, the procedure becomes pretty routine. At least with a stovebolt six you don't have to deal with a pushrod that slides down and blocks installing the pump, like happens on a Chevy V8 engine!
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 80
So I completed the job. Oil pump and truck run great and no leaks! Thank for your help.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0