Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (51sub),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 | Bolters-
I'm making some progress on my framebuild-up and am considering power brake kits. I have a frame with a grafted Nova front clip and Nova rear end. The front clip is about to get disk brakes and the rear has stock Nova drums. While others have discussed components (like proportioning valves), I wonder if you have any recommendations about which supplier you've used for the master/power booster components. Flipping through Custom Classic Trucks, I can choose from No Limit, MP Brakes, ECI, McGaughy's, RB's, CH Topping, TCI, and many others. If you've had any experience with any of these kits, please let me know.
With thanks in advance- 51 PhatBoy | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 | Most all of them will have what you need to complete this part of your project. You should call them and see who has the best tech support and check on prices. I had good luck with Master Power Brakes. You should also think about a brake kit, with all the right parts matched and set up for your application. It takes a lot of guess work out and you know it will stop when you are finished. Joe | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 | Joe-
Many thanks fo your recommendation. At this point I feel good about the brakes, bu t they do feel like a rolling garage sale sometimes! Perhaps I can afford to upgrade in the future.
Cheers- 51PhatBoy | | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 58 Member | | Member Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 58 | Go with ECI and talk to Ralph he'll get you set up with what works | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 19 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 19 | Phat Boy: Try Pickups North West, as far as I know they are the only ones who make a unit that will work with a standard trans. Master Power makes excellent conversions, and their quality of customer support is also excellent. I blieve that the MP units are designed for auto trans equipped vehicles but check with Carmen or Anwar at MP they really know their brakes. Also let whoever you're dealing with know if your truck is Drum-Drum, Disc-Drum, or Disc-Disc as each configuration may require a different master cylinder and/or proprtioning valve!!! For my 52 3/4 ton I used the Pickups NW conversion, on my other vehicles I've used the MP conversions. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 | Got mine from Classic Performance, with the valve, and it's working fine. www.classicperform.com | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | I haven't gotten mine installed yet because still dealing with the front end issues, however, I already popped for an ECI part. Namely because they were very helpful with my 1-ton and I think the provided me with a very good solution. The guys I talked to up there were very patient and knowledgeable.
I got a power boosted 1 1/8ths master - and its a small booster (7"). They told me that with the load of the truck it won't be like my car, but it will be better than manual brakes. I am thinking it will be good because I have these (as yet untried) kevlar brake shoes and the truck is about 1600 lbs lighter than it was originally. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 | Jim III-
My new set up will include a 350TH automatic transmission, but thanks for your advice. Many thanks to the restof you for your insight as well.
As I look into these systems, it seems like there are a lot of resellers and few manufacuturers, with the exception of MP, ECI and maybe Custom (CPP). Are they all designed the same?
With thanks, 51PhatBoy | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 19 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 19 | PhatBoy: Since I haven't dealt with any Resellers/manufacturers other than Pickups NW and MP I can't tell you how different their units are. I do know that MP is a manufacturer, and that their kits are all first rate. I know of one incident where a customer purchased a conversion from another source and wound up taking it to MP who got it all sorted out and working properly. Further, years ago MP started out as a remanufacturer, so they have beaucoup hands-on experience with brakes for just about any application. Let me know if you need any more help. BubbaB52 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 | 51Phatboy, An expert that used to post on this board (with a similar handle) pointed out that the firewalls on these trucks weren't made for mounting brake boosters and that some units had a tendency to crack the firewall after a time. He suggested a frame mounted unit with a remote reservoir. I already had mine so I'm sticking with it. From CPP, it has a 3/16" plate brace that ties the dash, firewall, and column all together. Triangulated as such, I don't anticipate a problem, but I will keep an eye on it. | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Chuck, I ran a home designed triangular system similar to what you described that used all GM parts and tied the lower dash, steering column clamp, firewall together over about a 10" span and it worked great for several years that I had the truck. Like anything else, if you do it right and consider all the forces you shouldn't have problems with the firewall cracking from fatigue. Phat was right in that lots of folks don't have a clue and just bolt up to the firewall and dont consider how much force a person can develop on the pedal when stopping not to mention how many times it is done in a given trip. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 438 | Ken and Chuck-
Thanks for your replies. I 'm still messing with the frame and drivetrain. I will go with the frame mounted unit as I am looking for a stockish, sleeper look in the interior, using the orginal brake pedal configuration, rather than a firewall mounted booster. Also, I'm partial to any way that eliminates clutter in the engine compartment. The body I am working with is probably going to get a new smootihie firewall, another reason to go with the frame mounted power brake booster. BTW, I am new to the forum and not related to "Phat" who's archived posts I have come across.
With thanks, 51PhatBoy | | |
| |