The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Shade Baby), 152 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
I have a couple concerns with my drivetrain, I’ve gone through and completed a new U joint replacement along with all the replacement engine and transmission mounts are new.

First thing is, now that I have replaced all the three engine transmission mounting points I seem to get a nasty vibration at 40-45 mph. Prior to changing out the three engine-tranny front mounts, the three mount points were hardly there especially the front transmission mount. Also there was a lot less drivetrain vibration as well. I did not replace the Okie bushing and did not find any large amounts of play in the driveshaft in the bushing. Which makes me wonder if it could have something to do with the transmission. It’s dual range functionality works quite well except for the kickdown needs to be adjusted so it will function.

Second thing is when I move the selector down to 1-2 the transmission and engine seems to labor quite a lot until I move it back to the 1-3 selection and then it functions normal again, has anyone experienced this condition?

AnyHelp would be appreciated thank you

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What is your engine serial number?
What is the code on the engine ID plate on the transmission?

They were matched at the factory, to assure satisfactory alignment.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,801
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,801
Those transmissions are very sensitive to throttle pressure adjustments, which also controls the kickdown. The rod from the carburetor to the transmission serves as both throttle pressure and kickdown. Also find a copy of the service manual and do a band adjustment. The front and rear bands are critical to good performance, and an out of adjustment band could be responsible for the problems in the 1-2 shifter position.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I have a fresh transmission ready to install so really have no experience with a pristine condition transmission operation. The transmission that was in the truck before I tore it down for restoration acted similar to what you described in 1-2. It would all but drag the engine down. I did have a transmission shop (with the owner being of the age that he was well versed in the H-M transmission) check it over and adjust it before it was installed. I also let him drive it for it's maiden flight. I was led to accept that 1-2 was for tromping it trying to get out of a mud bog or some similar scenario. The throttle pressure adjustment as mentioned is critical. a quarter turn seems like it can be the difference between running all gears within 15 feet and not downshifting when slowing down for a corner. Had to "sneak up on it".

Vibration? that is tough. What U-joint did you use. I know the front half is H-M only. The back half is common with manual transmission u-joint. Did you put a manual transmission u-joint in it by chance? The rear mount is just a rubber isolator in a plate that is sandwiched in a bracket that bolts to trans tailhousing. Maybe take it loose and see if it helps take driveline out of a bind? Have to assume that alignment to engine is still the same as you would be using same adapter plate and dowel pin alignment. Are you sure front mounts are correct and that it has not somehow turned into a more "solid" motor mount? Loosen each bolt a quarter turn to see if improves?

My advice may be crap. But I am sure it will draw better troubleshooting technique suggestions if it is.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Greg H brings up a good point about the front mounts. There needs to be a gap between the metal parts where the rubber goes between. This is done by how snug you tighten two of the bolts. The castle nuts on these two bolts are held into position by cotter pins. Too often these fasteners are either not serviceable or lost and replaced by the wrong fastener type and over tightened which squishes the rubber so far that the metal parts come into contact, giving you a solid metal mount. This will loosen the fillings in your teeth in some cases.
The Factory Manual does a poor job of explaining the process of adjustment as well as how the parts go together in my opinion.
I am still waiting for Hotrod Lincoln to apply his Tennessee engineering skills into coming up with a simpler front mount design which does not require any brain cells to rub together to install. smile
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
As I mentioned, the Hydramatic, there are two rubber mounts at the front of the transmission all but disintegrated, but once I replace them this vibration started. So are you saying I need to loosen the bolts for the rubber sandwich? Could that solve the problem since it was never the two mounting pads there when I first got the truck?

Front of the transmission was all but unsupported I’m not sure how many years prior to me buying the truck, how important are these two rubber pads at the front of the transmission and if I loosen them hopefully that could be a solution, any thoughts?

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
There are two mounts one on either side of the "bellhousing" They are two part each. A part that wraps around the top of the crossmember and a part that goes in from the underside. The front motor mount that Carl talks of is under the engine timing gear cover under a "metal box" to keep oil from destructing the rubber parts. There is actually a fourth mount although it is more of a stabilizer than a mount that is on the rear of the transmission. It bolts to the tailhousing and it attached to the rear crossmember but has a rubber isolator sandwiched in.

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
I am with you on all the different locations of the four mounts, was not aware there was a unique HM timing gear (area)
front mount. Never have seen an option at any of the supply shops that offer such a mount for HM set ups.

If there is such a supplier can you let men know who that would be?

Also maybe I need to tune the tightness the front (engine) and tranny tail piece mounts. The center (bell housing) mount has that
sleeves between the 2 pieces of rubber that kind of prevents you from over tightening.

Everything is nice and secure for the first time in I don't how many years, maybe too secure.

Thanks Todd

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I was not clear. The front mount should be the same. (the one under the timing cover)

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
So can you tell me if I am to adjust the front motor mount adjustment is it the two inner bolts or the two outer bolts, please let me know thanks 1 million

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
I am not aware of any adjustment to any of the motor mounts.
Once the bolts are tightened down, that is all that needs to be done.
This applies to both the manual and auto trans. equipped trucks.

1954 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual
Engine Mounting
Page 1
Page 2

The vibration issue is a process of a elimination.
The first thing to check is to see if the engine serial numbers on the flywheel rear housing matches
the engine serial numbers on the machined boss, located to the rear of the distributor. Read number 18. & Flywheel Housing HERE and Attached Photos

The flywheel front and rear housings compromise a matched set.
Far left and far right parts in this Illustration. Group no. 0.683 Part of Housing Assembly

It is possible the reason why you didn't feel the vibration until you replaced the motor mounts,
could be because the engine and tranny wasn't line-up correctly to begin with. Read this POST to gain more insight
It was shaking all along but you did feel it because the engine & tranny were loose at their mounting points.

More on engine block and HM tranny Alignment and how to fix the problem if the engine serial numbers don't match.
54 shop manual calls it Face Runout and Bore Runout.
Flywheel Housing Alignment check
Page 2
Page 3

xfiles
Attachments

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 120
You may be right about the old motor mounts, they were all worn out or nonexistent


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0