The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Greetings 'Bolters-

Just saw an interesting 47-54 AD truck windshield option that came up on an ebay search. Check out Bob's Glass for a bent (and tinted) windsheild .

Anyone have insight to share as I weigh this option versus the flat, V-butted glass? I really want to get rid of the center pillar and trim to get rid of the blind spot. Worried about the V-butt seal. Let me know what you think.

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,182
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,182
I've seen one AD truck with a V-type windshield (two pieces of glass butted in the center.) The guy used clear silicone to seal the v. Looked ugly. The windshields you referenced (on eBay) look nice, but I don't know if I'd pay that much for one.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Paul-

Thanks for your comment. Cost is certanly an issue, as flat glass if much cheaper. I've only seen the V-butt set-up in magazines. In print they look "seamless" so I will still have to research this.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 154
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Z Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 154
I'll bet those would be a treat to install. I'm thinking you would modify the normal molded rubber? Zeke


The Amish Connection
51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
I've had the V-butted windsheild in my AD for 12 years now and haven't had a problem with leaks or anything. A friend of mine who owns a glass shop did the work and used the small molding between the glass and the cab. It is nice to get away from that blind spot.


Joe
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Thanks Joe and Zeke-

Joe, any chance you can share more info on how your buddy did the install? Any pics? Please share any hints that might help.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
Lets see....more information about my V-butted windshield:

I chopped the top and wanted a smaller molding around the glass so the chop wouldn't look so excessive. I talked it over with a friend of mine that has a glass business and he talked me into doing the V-butted windshield. I eliminated the step in the stock metal around the windshield area for a cleaner look since we were going to use S10 molding around the glass. He added a black plastic frame around the stock cab lip where the stock rubber over-laps. He also sprayed the inside of the glass with a black coating. The glass was glued in like the new car/trucks and the smaller S10 molding was installed between the glass and the cab. The gap between the two glasses is very small and clear silicone was added to this area.

Here is my website with a few pictures. If you need a close up just let me know and I'll snap a few for you.

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/


Joe
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Thanks Joe. I didn't realize that was your truck! I think the V-butt looks pretty fine in that context.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
great lookin truck there chevy1 - much better done than most chopped/rodded ADs I've seen grin

51phat - that technique is pretty common on rodded cars and trucks w/ the 2piece windshield - acquaintance of mine has a real nice ol Merc that way and you can hardly tell from 10 feet away

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Bill-

Thanks for your reply. I have seen V-butt approaches in other models too, but the bent windsheild was new to me. Thinking I could go either way, but will probably save money using a V-butt approach.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 142
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 142
I too have seen some v-butt windshields that did not turn out too clean. I am saving up for the bent glass , I have seen one in person and it is very sharp looking in a truck .

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Truckrodder-

Thanks for the input. It's a house divided! I agree that the V-butt must be done right and tight to look correct with these trucks. I'm thinking that the bent windshield may be part of my phase 2 upgrade program.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0