Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,370 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 18 | Is it possible to modify a long box to a short box or is it worth it as one can buy all the new parts to build a short box. Thanks for any info | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Yes, possible and cheaper if DIY.....but VIN won't match. New buyer will have to accept the clone. Can't buy "all" new parts. Frame has to be shortened also. No "new" factory correct frames that I know of. New bed sides $1450. DIY $0.
"Worth it" does not have one meaning. Money or time? Value when cloned? Having a shop do it one way or the other? Many times it's better to sell the long bed truck and buy a short bed truck.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | You’d better be up to par with welding skills if you’re cutting a long box into a short box. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 18 | I have a short box frame. I meant all the parts for short box,sorry. Have a shop and have retired old school bodyman that still likes to work. Yes the VIN will be a process but I plan on keeping truck,thanks | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 A teacher, but always an apprentice. | | A teacher, but always an apprentice. Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 2,168 | Chevron, I will very likely be doing a similar thing to my 70 C10. I’m going to cut the frame down into a short box. Like you, it’s not for sale. Ever. So no worries there.youve already got a short frame, so you’re set there. The frame modification does not worry me much but...
I will not be attempting to modify the box sides. The amount of work for a novice metal worker and skill needed to make it right is very intimidating. I will not be undertaking this task. I will be sourcing shortbox sides from a vendor. The time, skill, frustration, and likeihood of ruining a perfectly fine long box is simply to high for this cat. I’m buying. And this is coming from a guy who has built 2 AD boxes. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | With a short bed frame, your job is a whole lot easier than I thought. There are a lot of good pics and videos on cutting the bed sides. There are also kits to shorten a frame, sold by reputable companies. Templates, plates, brake line, parking brake cables, etc. HereI am no more skilled than the next guy but I don't consider shortening a bed side very intimidating. You just cut a section out and put is back together. Good measuring, straight angle grinder cuts and weld it. You don't disturb the header or the tailgate areas. There will still be three stake pockets. That issue is up to the owner. Leave the center one or fill it.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2019 Posts: 1,003 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2019 Posts: 1,003 | Ive seen a pretty complete and detailed kit LMC truck.com. Check em out . they seem to have a ton a stuff from on end to another. They also sell bed sides.. | | |
| |