The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DadsFirstPickup, Rusted Nut), 78 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,075
Posts1,056,279
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
Hello All

I have a 1953 Chevy and I am putting together a tools kit to keep in the car. Does anyone have a list of the useful spanner sizes for road side repairs rather the major overhauls. I don’t want to carry everything including the kitchen sink but it tends to be what I end up with anyway.

Also going to Cary

Rotary Arm
Pertronic Igniter
Coil
Distributor cap
1 long ht lead
Fuel filter
Fuel pipe
Jubilee clips
1 rubber brake pipe.
Some wire
Fuses.
Some crimps
Assorted nuts and bolts
Fan belt
Lamps

Any other idea. Been out twice in the new truck. Broke down twice!

Regards Chris

Last edited by ThreeSixHundred; 04/19/2019 7:24 PM.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Had to look it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Clip

Perhaps all you need is a credit card with roadside assistance / towing. Carry a cell phone (mobile) to call for help.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
For any older Chevy, 9/16", 9/16", and 9/16" grin

Seriously, a set of combination wrenches (box and open end) from 1/2" up to 3/4" would fit just about anything. I sewed up a rollup pouch from some denim (old jeans) with velcro closures. Pretty compact setup.

Or you could go with a couple of adjustable end wrenches (aka Crescent wrenches).


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
Gord

lol what do you call jubilee clips ?

Two great nations separated by a common language

Well I called out the breakdown truck but walked home and back and fitted a new coil. I so hate breaking down.

Chris

Last edited by ThreeSixHundred; 04/19/2019 9:50 PM.
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 843
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 843
They call them cresent in New Zealand a shifter as well and jubilee clips


57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
I nearly always carry more tools than I need, but I would like to be a bit more selective. Just remember a role of Duct tape.

I have quite a lot of modern imperial tools, but I think I will make a point of looking for some old brand grandads tool box tools. I like collecting tool at automotive jumbles and car boot sales.

Chris

Last edited by ThreeSixHundred; 04/19/2019 9:56 PM.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
To me, a Jubilee clip is just a hose clamp.

Kevin suggests a Crescent wrench; adjustable spanner to you (or in London, an adjustable Judy Dench?) Recently, I bought a Knipex pliers-wrench. I think that it would be ideal for the truck tool box. It will replace Crescent wrench and pliers although it can't cut wire.

To your list, I would add rags, gloves, multi-bit screwdriver, spark plug wrench.

You mention wire - I would take a small roll of rebar tie wire. Great for temporary fixes.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Originally Posted by ThreeSixHundred
I nearly always carry more tools than I need, but I would like to be a bit more selective. Just remember a role of Duct tape.

I have quite a lot of modern imperial tools, but I think I will make a point of looking for some old brand grandads tool box tools. I like collecting tool at automotive jumbles and car boot sales.

Chris
You can't be considered a real Alaskan if you don't have at least 2 rolls of duct tape. wave
I'm assuming an "automotive jumble" is a swap meet. What's the US equivalent of car boot sales? I know that the Brits call a trunk a "boot" and a hood a "bonnet" but not sure exactly what a car boot sale is.
Interesting bit about Jubilee clips. Kind of like the Kleenex or Band-Aid thing over here - every tissue is a Kleenex and every self-adhesive bandage is a Band-Aid. smile
I have collected a number of vintage tools, even some Ford ones. eeeek


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 84
Jubilee Clips are just hose clamps but are a particularly type that use the worm drive. Autojumble is a swap meet but I only ever swap good hard cash for old junk.

Rags, gloves and fence wire is a good idea. We have armoured cables here that are a good source of steel galvanise steel wire.

Not had much luck with adjustable spanner’s but I cannot argue the utility

Thanks Regards Chris

Last edited by ThreeSixHundred; 04/20/2019 6:29 AM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Fit-all, binder twine, bailing wire, and Dikes. That's all you need, except maybe an American to UK translator. smile smile smile
Carl

Last edited by 52Carl; 04/21/2019 12:48 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
[quote=klhansen]For any older Chevy, 9/16", 9/16", and 9/16" grin

Chris, good advise above, but from my old TR3, TR4, and E-Type days (all early 1960 vintage) I recall Whitworth sizes sometimes causing trouble. A 1/2" Whitworth equals an American 9/16th. So, as you put together a set of era appropriate tools, would Whitworth tools be British appropriate?


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0