The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (BC59, Leo, Hotrod Lincoln), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,410
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
I am having a very hard time getting this thing back on the truck. It has two blind holes that you have to position from inside a flange which is welded to the frame. Very little room to get any sort of a tool in there, everything I have tried has failed. I cant get a wrench on the head secure enough, then even when I do, I have no room to work the wrench to tighten the bolts to the cylinder. Any help would be really appreciated !

Troy


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Red63, my recollection is the bolts go in towards the frame through the holes in the master cylinder, they go into a strap/bar that is tapped with 7/16" N.F. thread. When the master cylinder is removed the strap/bar will be loose and can be removed. Is that what you are working with?

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
No sir, that is not how mine is set up. My master cylinder has two tapped holes on the side of the cylinder that are only about 1/2” deep. There is no access to these holes except thru the outside of the cylinder. The flange, which is welded to the frame has two matching holes, the bolts feed thru those holes into the matching holes on the cylinder. It appears to be only one way to install, and it’s incredibly difficult getting those bolts in the holes blindly, then holding them in place with a wrench if I’m lucky, then holding the cylinder up to the flange and try to get the threads to catch. I’m sure there is a tool that would work better than what I have. I can take a picture of the cylinder if you need me to.

I appreciate the help sir.


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Red63, Okay, thank you for describing what you are dealing with. If I remember that particular type of mounting correctly they had studs screwed into the master cylinder, it still is no picnic to put the nuts and lock washers on the studs inside the channel on the frame. If you put one nut on one stud to hold everything in place, then put the lock washer and nut on the other stud and tighten, now you can go back and remove the first nut and install the lock washer and nut and tighten, hope that helps.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
I think you have helped me tremendously 3B ! You are right about the studs and how they attach the master cylinder to the flange. It has been so long since I worked on it that I forgot it was assembled with studs, And I was trying to use bolts coming from inside the flange to screw into the master. I will look for those studs that I removed off of the old cylinder and if I can’t find them I will make my own.

Thank you so much sir 😊


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0