The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (rfs56trk, 46 Texaco, cmayna, Hawkman, Gray_Ghost, Wally / Montana), 122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,687
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 201
8
nothing beats a try but a failure
nothing beats a try but a failure
8 Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 201
So, I am at the point on my rebuild were I am installing the plumbing. I did not replace the original single bowl master cylinder with another. A double bowl MC is installed. Should there be a check valve and a proportioning valve?
Attachments
IMG_1034.JPG (430.88 KB, 102 downloads)
IMG_1085 (1).JPG (508.57 KB, 104 downloads)
IMG_1105.JPG (255.71 KB, 102 downloads)
IMG_1238.JPG (493.07 KB, 101 downloads)
IMG_1235.JPG (311.73 KB, 99 downloads)


1955.1 3600 5 window 4 speed all original except the 410 gears.
In the Project Journal
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy 87GN, I am going to assume that you are working on a 1955.1 3600, by your pictures and your signature line, please remember to give us that information when you ask questions. What was the master cylinder you installed originally intended for? Are you going to have drum brakes all around or will you be doing a disk brake conversion?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
If you are doing drums all the way around no extra valves are required. 🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
If you are doing drums all the way around no extra valves are required. 🛠

I agree, but may I add a couple of possible exceptions he might want to be aware of?

If the master cylinder is lower than the wheel cylinders you would need an inline check valve to prevent backflow. I also think there would be a little quicker brake response with 10-lb inline residual pressure valves front and rear to offset drum brake spring tension.


1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 201
8
nothing beats a try but a failure
nothing beats a try but a failure
8 Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 201
Yes, all 4 of the drum brakes will be reinstalled completely new. The dual bowl MC is mounted in the original location except for the mounting bracket that came in the kit. The wheel cylinders are below the MC as it sits on level ground but they would not be below the MC on a hill. The double bowl MC intention was to provide a second chance to stop if a failure accrued in one of the lines. I know it's not original and I had to make that hard decision to make this alteration to the master cylinder.


1955.1 3600 5 window 4 speed all original except the 410 gears.
In the Project Journal
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
The original master cylinder and some replacements already have residual pressure valves built in.
Find out what you have before adding other things.

A check valve is a bad idea, unless you want your brakes engaged always.

The residual pressure valves are a type of check valve but only hold the listed pressure, freely return excess pressure. The brake shoe return springs should be able to provide more pressure than the valve is rated for.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 65
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 65
I went to a double mc and stayed with drums and had to add 10lbs residual check valves. I added one to the front line and one to the rearclose to the mc. I was told to add 2 on the front line after the split and then add a proportion valve but I didn’t go that route. They work great now, before the check valves I couldn’t get any pressure from the pedal. Now it’s good and firm.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0