The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wayne67vert, Southerntruck, Guitplayer, Napco Man), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
Hi there,

Been a while for me and I've got a question about power steering conversion kits.
http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/2006/NewFiles/Series500.htm

This one (Toyota version)
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000119c~Z5Z5Z5AADPI~P949.95~~~~S5G717XPP710412222019c~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000119c

Or the Brother's
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-59-COMPLETE-POWER-STEERING-CONVERSION-KIT-V8/productinfo/CPSK05

Not trying anything fancy. basically rebuilt suspension and steering parts, and now it's obvious that the steering gear is shot, so I was thinking why not replace it with the toyota version from Golden State. I don't want to change too much as I'm really trying to get the truck able to sell

Thanks for your advice



Attachments
IMG_0482.JPG (252.65 KB, 107 downloads)

Last edited by lil_coffee; 04/01/2019 2:09 AM.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,099
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,099
The current "Toyota" steering box is an aftermarket unit re-designed for these trucks. The original Toyota box mounted to a bracket that mounted to the frame. The current version mounts directly to the frame. The kit should include the drag link, pitman arm, steering shaft flex joint connector, and column bushing (for stock column). You also need a pump, pump mount brackets, hoses, pulley, & belt. It is also a good idea to replace the existing tie rod/tie rod ends with the newer type. The existing column will need to be modified or an aftermarket column can be used. However, It is not a simple bolt in.They work so well you probably won't want to sell it.
Fred

I get my steering conversions from ABS Power Brake in Orange, CA. www.abspowerbrake.com


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
Thank you for the referral. I was hoping not to have to do the engine bay side of the steering column at all. My guess is that means, removal, modification, and re-install. This may be more trouble than just selling the truck to someone else. I hate to sell it after 13 plus years, but I can't have 5 vehicles on my insurance with a 17 year old on my policy. They can never commit to you telling them he will only be driving his own vehicle we have to have coverage for a teen on every vehicle which is $$ prohibitive. We are looking to sell the $57 for $9500 and pay off the note on his Mazda3 high school car. I was going to do the conversion to make it easier to sell, and mark it up by the investment.

The Golden State Parts conversion kits seems pretty complete. I would just need to know about what to do with modifying the steering column to work with the new steering gear. I had the front suspension rebuilt last summer with new tie rod bushings, king pins, etc, and so the truck tracks fine, but for the dead space in the steering gear, and it's not about tightening that little screw on the gear....it's plumb wore out after 60+ years.

Thanks again.

Geoffrey
[email protected]


[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,099
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,099
The original steering column and steering box are a complete assembly. In order to use the stock column you would need to cut the outer column tube and the inner shaft to separate them from the steering box. From there you would need to attach an adapter such as a rag joint or universal joint to the end of the shaft to correspond with the spline on the upper shaft of the new box. You would also need a bushing between the tube and the shaft and a bracket to hold the lower end of the assembly to the firewall. You could also purchase a replacement column from a later model vehicle at a wrecking yard or use an aftermarket column.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 6
Thank you so much Fred for helping me make up my mind. I am going to just sell it as it is. I got the AC working by changing out 2 resistors and am going to try to tighten the steering gear. It's just too much where I don't get to keep the payoff.

I sincerely appreciate the candor and good advice.
Geoff


[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0