The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Southerntruck, stlcardinalsguy), 61 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,347
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1303409 03/17/2019 1:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
Before I get up enough ambition to start in on removing and replacing the front windshield I thought it would be best to start with the rear first. It just seems logical...small glass small job. I believe its original glass. (decent condition no cracks or chips, etc.) And reinstalling it using a new seal. Sounds easy for those who have been there, done that, right!
I'm sure glass work is not for the faint of heart and probably should be left to the experts. I feel comfortable cutting out the old seal and carefully removing the glass. Its the going back together stuff that can go all wrong fast. Being new to the site I'm sure there has been allot of instruction and opinions on how this should be accomplished of which I have not read yet. It seems like this might be one of those very, very specialized fields that is almost a lost art.
So the question is...is this a project for a weekend or even a semi-skilled mechanical type to take on?


Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
hi Apache1
i also went the same route to build up practice, i got a new window rubbers from classicparts and reinstalled the same old glass
it's much easier with two people, someone can hold and push agains the glass while the other pulls the string and uses a rubber hook tool to set the rubber in place
tho it is possible to do alone, with a big rubber suction cup, but i would not recommend starting the job single person, one slip and glass falls frown

with 2 people, it's not too difficult, by the time you are done you will be an expert smile

i recommend you google how to do it and watch a few videos online first, their are a couple good ones floating around for that specific window.
that way you can have a good understanding how to pull on the sting to lift the rubber lip over the metal

i used plastic bailer twine for my string, it is very strong and you won't worry about pulling so hard it will break, the twine will tear that gasket rubber before it breaks.
best of luck, you can do it!
-s

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
The flat rear glass is not hard to do. I did it myself without any assistance. Installing the lock strip was the biggest PITA. You are supposed to get a special tool to help plow the strip in. I used an old flat blade screwdriver - ground the end off so it wasn't sharp - didn't want to cut the rubber. Starting at the bottom center, I just slowly worked around the window working the strip into it's groove.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
I really appreciate the vote of confidence. I will heed your advice and take your lead on things learned along the way. thanks

George

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
I personally don't care what my windshield guy charges me to install my windshields and back glass. I cannot do it myself, and all of my local friends are ham-handed, which does come in handy during BBQ season, but not so much for glass work.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
I hear you..patience has never been my strong suite.

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I personally don't care what my windshield guy charges me to install my windshields and back glass. I cannot do it myself, and all of my local friends are ham-handed, which does come in handy during BBQ season, but not so much for glass work.

I once learned the advantage of having a pro do it: If they break it it's on them.


1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
I once learned the advantage of having a pro do it: If they break it it's on them.

obvious, but the satisfaction of doing it yourself (installing, not breaking) is priceless.
there are tons of tutorial video's on youtube. watch them and if you still think it looks to difficult go to the specialist.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0