The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,381
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#130009 08/16/2002 1:01 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2
'
Junior Member
Junior Member
' Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2
Does anyone know of some place that has a power/disc brake set up for a 49 3600? Also, how would you go about it....power brakes first, then later add disc's or all at ones. It would just be easier on the wallet to do them at different times. Any help would be appreciated.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
I looked into the links here on the stovebolt and found a few sources.Here is one
Brake up-grades
I would suggest looking at the other links as well listed on the stovebolt. cool


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#130011 08/17/2002 11:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2
'
Junior Member
Junior Member
' Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2
Thanks for the responce. I have checked out a lot of the links on the site. I was hoping to keep the 8 lug pattern.
As for the power setup, I have contacted ECI and MP Brakes and both have said that they dont't have anything for a 3600.
I thought not too long ago, I had visited a site that had a complete ft power/disc setup. At the time, it looked a bit pricey so I didn't bookmark it. Big mistake. :o Any help is appreciated.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
'49 3600-I was recently surfing around at www.chevytrucks.org. In their Advance Design links section (1947-1955) you will find a link to Mr. John Dorsey's web page about his 1950 Chevy one ton panel. He swapped later model one ton disc brakes onto his stock eight lug hubs, and was able to retain the stock wheels! Sorry I couldn't link it here, I've tried before and my stoopid computer doesn't have some of the symbols for his address...or maybe it's the stoopid computer operator... :o

Hope you find this helpful.

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Oh yeah, 49, one other thing-the power part of the brake equation, you might get away with using a kit to install the booster and master cylinder into a half ton truck. You just want to be careful that the master cylinder is capable of displacing enough fluid to fully operate both the front calipers and the rear wheel shoes.

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
one ton disk brake story

Also, I find it interesting that the folks selling the 1/2 ton 6-bolt kits have "Patent Pending" all over thier stuff. Are they going to go after all the guys who built kits almost identical to theirs? What about the home built kits that have been rolling around on trucks for the last 10 years? Between Phat, Buffalo and the 4x4 caliper/disk setup I put together . . . seems like it would be tough to dispute prior art. Piddly patents pi$$ me off.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 39
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 39
Mr. Dorsey used a modern, dual chamber master cylinder from a mid 70's up, heavy duty 3/4 or one ton pick up, without power assist. The set-up stops the truck quite well as a manual system. Once upon a time, John had detailed drawings on the net of the caliper brackets he made. You might email him and see if those are still available. He's a good guy and readily answers questions.

Good luck!


Michael Zaic
Dahlonega, GA
52 GMC 150
48 GMC 300
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Hey MichaelZ, do you know if Mr. Dorsey swapped out the ball-bearings for roller bearings? If so, what kind? Or do 1 ton trucks come factory with roller bearings? Just curious-yet more stupid questions from a guy who loves AD's, but doesn't know NEARLY enough about them!

TIA
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
I just sent Mr. Dorsey an email direct with my questions-I'll post the answers here later when he gets back to me.

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
#130018 08/18/2002 11:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 39
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 39
Wannabe,
If I remember correctly, he used the tapered bearing from the HD 3/4 or one ton chevy, which the rotors came from. He had an adapter made which fit snuggly on the original spindle shaft, then the bearing fit the adapter. I think it is much the same idea which is used to convert the 1/2 tons from ball bearings to rollers. I'm sure Mr. Dorsey will be able to give you a better description.
Hope this helps some!


Michael Zaic
Dahlonega, GA
52 GMC 150
48 GMC 300
#130019 08/19/2002 12:59 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Thanks for the quick response, Mike. I'll keep y'all posted once I get some more info from Mr. Dorsey.

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I reviewed that website a few months ago. Tried e-mailing and got no response. As for his brackets, from an engineering standpoint, I cannot recommend them. While I have not analysed them, cold rolled steel is not anywhere near strong enough for this setup. It needs to be at least a medium carbon, heat treated steel. Nothing that I would trust my life or the life of others with.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Not a criticism, Fred, just curious-different grades of steel, I knew they were available, however I thought just in tubing, etc? Does steel PLATE come in different grades and quality levels too? :confused:

TIA
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wannabe, there are dozens of ASTM specifications for different kinds of steel plate. The cheapest/ cheeziest steel is A36 and is what most steel yards sell for plate. This steel machines easy, cuts easy, bends easy (threads tear out easy too :o )

For brake parts you want something that is tough yet has a high yield strength.

I provided the software and drive system for a local rolling mill plate shear and chopper, I was amazed at how many different grades of steel they produced. smile

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Thanks for your response, Ken. Some good info there. Fred T is right, the braking system is NO PLACE to cut corners!

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
#130024 08/26/2002 11:01 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
Here's a site that may have parts you are chasing.


Send David Hicks home - now!
"Better to be wrong and kill no one then right with mass graves" Albert Camus
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
:confused: No link, Pete. What site is it? :confused:

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Wannabe, the links there, but the kits are for 1/2 ton 5 bolt.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#130027 08/30/2002 10:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 96
I guess that site cant help for 3/4. Might be woth an email though. Hope you have had some luck.


Send David Hicks home - now!
"Better to be wrong and kill no one then right with mass graves" Albert Camus

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0