| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,310 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 173 | Well, that got your attention! So, I have a 1952 Chevy with a 235 from a 1955 truck. The exhaust manifold has a horn bracket on it so we found an old style horn for it. When I did the re-wire to 12 volts, I wasn't sure which terminal was which on the horn. Of course, I picked the wrong one and sparks flew. Flipped the wires, all good. Fast forward to today. We removed the front clip do to some work on the engine/transmission. After putting things back together, when I went to connect the horn again, it just honks continuously. There isn't a horn relay on this truck. Any thoughts on why it was working correctly before and now, not so much?
Thanks!
Last edited by Rusty Rod; 01/28/2019 4:01 PM.
Ron and Ryan Hill 1952 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,502 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,502 | Sounds to me like the horn switch has failed somehow, Ron. I'd check the wire coming from it to see if there's voltage present. Unless the horn is being used, there should not be any and the insulators for that horn switch are prone to rot and fall out anytime. Long years ago I did away with the old style horn but left it in place and ran the wire from the relay to a dual-tone horn behind the grille (hi/low). The new horn gives a louder noise and is a sound I think most people expect to hear from a truck horn. At least I like the sound better...
Good luck.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Sounds like the button on the steering wheel is shorting.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 173 | Thanks everyone! I took apart the horn button on the steering wheel. Cleaned the contact surfaces and reinstalled. I thing the button plate wasn't installed properly and was causing the constant ground contact. Must have gotten bumped somehow taking off the clip. Working fine now. Ron and Ryan Hill 1952 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Glad to hear you resolved it.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
| |
| |