The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Buckeye998, WICruiser), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Could anyone tell me what the correct measurement/dimensions for the brass intake fitting are that should allow me to attach the wiper hose?

Also- any idea where I could find the correct one? Been looking for some time, but it doesn't seem like the usual vendors carry this.

My wiper hose got cut off pretty close to the cowl - the outside of the hose measures 1/16.

The thread of my current brass fitting (that doesn't have a port for the wiper hose) appears to measure 1/64.

I have attached pics of both.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nWjzVjoeaNDw6XjG9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rqu3eVNp5iSqoF4e8
Attachments
wiper hose.jpg (86.5 KB, 140 downloads)

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I think it's a 1/4"NPT. If I'm wrong someone will point it out. You can get it at any hardware store.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Tiny
I think it's a 1/4"NPT. If I'm wrong someone will point it out. You can get it at any hardware store.
That would be wonderful. I assume I’d find it under plumbing? Lowe’s would likely have it?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
In their brass fittings section. The pictures didn't show it well but it looks like there's a plug in the hole. Take it with you to match up the thread.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Tiny
In their brass fittings section. The pictures didn't show it well but it looks like there's a plug in the hole. Take it with you to match up the thread.
Yes- there’s s fitting on there now. Circled it in the pic, but you can’t connect anything to it.
What should the elbow look like? Does the rubber hose slide over it?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I don't know how the '46 came from the factory. I'm assuming it's a 90 deg elbow with a NPT to hose barb fitting. The hose would slide over the barb fitting and might have a hose clamp. I don't know the size of the hose. You can get hose at any car parts house. Take a piece with you to get the correct size. For that fact take that piece of hose with you when you buy the fitting as well since you can get various size barb ends just like you can get different thread ends.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Tiny
I don't know how the '46 came from the factory. I'm assuming it's a 90 deg elbow with a NPT to hose barb fitting. The hose would slide over the barb fitting and might have a hose clamp. I don't know the size of the hose. You can get hose at any car parts house. Take a piece with you to get the correct size. For that fact take that piece of hose with you when you buy the fitting as well since you can get various size barb ends just like you can get different thread ends.
I can cut another piece of the hose off that’s hanging out of the cowl.
I assume it’s something like this, but I don’t think Lowe’s carries it:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220180/

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I've never shopped for fittings at a Lowes so I can't say. Many parts houses also carry fittings and they all have hose. Any Ace hardware store will have them.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Here is a photo of that fitting on Sparky. I believe it year correct as the engine is original to the truck, but rebuilt by the previous owner. Note the short curved pipe has a short length of rubber hose, which for now is plugged to keep insects etc out. As for part source, I would try looking at any plumbing supply store to find something usable.



Attachments

Last edited by 46Sparky; 01/21/2019 1:39 AM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
You can get the fitting and hose at any Auto Parts Store. As Tiny said take the plug with you to match the threads. It will be a 90 degree fitting and the hose will slip over the barb end.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by 46Sparky
Here is a photo of that fitting on Sparky. I believe it year correct as the engine is original to the truck, but rebuilt by the previous owner. Note the short curved pipe has a short length of rubber hose, which for now is plugged to keep insects etc out. As for part source, I would try looking at any plumbing supply store to find something usable.
Thank you. Does 1/4 barb sound and look correct to you?

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
You can get the fitting and hose at any Auto Parts Store. As Tiny said take the plug with you to match the threads. It will be a 90 degree fitting and the hose will slip over the barb end.
Really? Any auto parts store? I hope you are right.
I was just trying to verify the correct dimensions, but I can certainly cut a piece of the hose off as well and take the plug in.

The one on Sparky looks entirely different and I wish there was a source for the period correct one!

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Andy
Here is another pic of that fitting on another ‘46. I don’t know for certain if it is an “original”, but do know the truck has taken high honors in judging done by “experts”. There is a subtle difference between this one and the one shown in my earlier post.

There, as we have discussed before, are subtle differences for a variety of parts on most of these old vehicles. It seems it is especially more likely for the ‘46 models because of production ramp up after the war. There were supply shortages and parts vendors were scrambling to change from producing war material to civilian products. Additionally, vehicle production plants might have had a different supplier for some parts and if a “common” part could be substituted for one of like application it was done. The demand for new vehicles was very high and the pressure to produce likewise.

Attachments
467170F3-AEBE-4A9D-A9EE-B3693107BA13.png (665.74 KB, 111 downloads)

Last edited by 46Sparky; 01/21/2019 2:05 PM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
The fitting in the above photo is available. Try a plumbing supply store if your auto parts store doesn’t have one in their Dorman box.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Tried two auto part stores and they didn’t have it. Two hardware stores and neither had the fitting with the 90 degree bend. Pieced it together with two separate fittings for now.
Definitely not that easy to find.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
I’m very surprised. That fitting is very common. I know lots of stores are cutting back on their inventory of brass fittings as I had trouble finding a 90 degree fuel fitting for a GM fuel pump. The good thing is you adapted and moved on.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Yes- good for now, but not a permanent solution.
I’ll keep looking.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Andy,
Here is a photo of the fitting in my 46.
ACE hardware should have a 90-degree brass fitting.
Harold
Attachments
Fitting from Manifold to hose .JPG (54.83 KB, 80 downloads)
Fitting from Manifold to hose .JPG (56.36 KB, 79 downloads)


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Sparky,
I added a little light to your photo. Hope that is OK with you.
Harold
Attachments
Fitting from Manifold to hose.png (419.44 KB, 72 downloads)


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
After reading this conversation do most trucks have a metal piece of tubing going through the firewall for vacuum hose? I am doing a 37 1/2 ton and was not sure where or what went through the firewall. Any answers to my question?


1937 GC
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
[quote=Harold46]Sparky,
I added a little light to your photo. Hope that is OK with you.
Harold[/quote

Yes, absolutely ok! Thanks

Last edited by 46Sparky; 01/22/2019 4:02 AM.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Bill,
the 42-46 had a rubber hose from the fitting on the manifold to the fitting on the wiper motor. Not sure about earlier trucks but do not see any reason they would have metal through the firewall- metal and 2 connectors = increased production costs. I believe they would have gone the cheaper route.
There is a grommet in the firewall to protect the rubber tube.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Bill Trotter
After reading this conversation do most trucks have a metal piece of tubing going through the firewall for vacuum hose? I am doing a 37 1/2 ton and was not sure where or what went through the firewall. Any answers to my question?
This is a '38 car so I'm not sure about the translation to a '37 truck but here's how it's routed on my '38. It's the hose just below and left (from driver's position) of the four gang grommet. There's no metal piece through the firewall.
Attachments
IMG_1050.jpg (140.27 KB, 80 downloads)

Last edited by Tiny; 01/22/2019 12:52 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Harold46
Andy,
Here is a photo of the fitting in my 46.
ACE hardware should have a 90-degree brass fitting.
Harold
Thanks Harold!

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Sorry, can’t offer any solid info on this. My ‘37 came from the PO without the wiper and I opted to install a single electric wiper motor. I agree with the observations Harold and Tiny offered. I will offer FWIW, that the plumbing connection at the manifold is different for earlier versions of the 216 I have and have seen than the one shown in the above photos. The manifold port is on top and aft of the pipe center.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
That's the way it is on my '38. The vacuum port is on top of the aft intake runner.
Attachments
IMG_1529.jpg (69.42 KB, 44 downloads)

Last edited by Tiny; 01/22/2019 7:53 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
The wiper hose fitting comes out of the intake?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Yes, if you have vacuum wipers. The distributor vacuum line attaches to a port above the throttle plate area of the carburetor.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by ChevyVol
The wiper hose fitting comes out of the intake?

Yes, and on later intake manifolds the fitting is into the intake manifold under the carburetor.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0