The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jay R, Barry Martak, 2-Ton, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 161 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Hello All,

I need to replace the anti-rattle spring inside my 3 speed column shift lever, in my 53 3100. It makes a very annoying vibration, when I accelerate in 1st gear. Has anybody else done this replacement? It feels as though the pivot pin should just slide out, if you pushed it. I am assuming that the spring and and kind of bushings will fall out. Any words of wisdom before I try this? Is there anymore to it than that? Is the new spring and bushings easy to install and line up with the pivot pin? Any words of wisdom and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

Rugo


Last edited by Rugo; 12/23/2018 12:47 AM.

Steve Rugg
53 3100
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
Not sure what year you're working on, but 66 is held in with roll pin.


ESum
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Esum,

Thank you for bringing the fact that I didn't include what year and model of my truck. I have now included both in my post.

Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
The repair kit is available from a variety of aftermarket sources. Remove the upper shift lever assembly from the vehicle. Put the rod in a vise to hold it as it is a two hand procedure to get it apart. There are two buttons, one on each side of the shift handle. Press the buttons in and remove the spring and internal components. Remove the handle from the shaft. There is a rubber bushing inside the handle, replace it with the new one in the kit. Reinstall the parts in reverse order. It may take a couple of attempts to get it back together but it does work.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Fred,

I have the kit coming. Thank you though, for letting me and anybody else know that they are available. Your instructions make sense. I haven't taken the upper shift lever out, to look it over. I was hoping that it could be done while still in the truck. But, I can see how it would be way easier, using your method. I noticed that the top button, or pin pushes down into the shift lever. I thought maybe it may just slide right out the bottom. I hadn't considered that both ends could be push into the shift lever, releasing the spring and bushings. As soon as my kit arrives, I plan to replace it. Thanks for the guidance and directions.

Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Fred,

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you for your instructions, concerning the installation of my anti rattle spring kit. I took my column shift assembly out of my 53 3100. Wrapped it in a rag and put it in my vise. Followed the rest of your instructions and installed it back into my truck. The first time I have ever driven it without the shift lever rattling. Sure makes driving it a lot more enjoyable.

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0