Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,508 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2018 Posts: 111 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2018 Posts: 111 | I am trying to remove the flywheel on a 216 motor I have but it will not turn.
Is there any way to remove it without being able to rotate the motor? Seems to be a near impossible task.
Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part | | Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 | Paul,
We need more information. Is engine in the truck or out? Any other pertaining information that might help.
I assume engine is in the truck and you can’t get to flywheel bolts due to bell housing.
Chris
Last edited by ndkid275; 12/12/2018 2:35 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | I did that on a 270 GMC (same back end) that was siezed, get your 1/2" drive socket set U-joint, reach in through the retainer hole.
It does work.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | Is the clutch cover still bolted onto the flywheel? The tricky part is removing the clutch, but with the sheet metal inspection cover removed near the top of the bellhousing, it's usually possible to reach all six pressure plate bolts with some creative use of extensions and universal sockets. Once the clutch and pressure plate is removed, the flywheel bolts can be reached with a breaker bar and a socket from the bottom inspection hole. If the engine is in the vehicle, getting to that upper inspection plate can be tricky! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2018 Posts: 111 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2018 Posts: 111 | Thanks guys, you are right...I should have said the clutch plate. That is what I am really fighting with.
I think the flywheel is probably a lot easier, via the input shaft hole.
I will head out there this morning and try again. Failing that I will pull the head and try to get the thing to rotate.
Thanks again. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2018 Posts: 111 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2018 Posts: 111 | OK, so success. first of all let me clarify, the motor was out of the truck and sitting on the floor. I had removed the trans but the motor was frozen and hence the issue in not being able to rotate and access the clutch retaining bolts.
I ended up removing the head and exposing the underside to release the rods from the crank so it would turn. A pain but I finally for the assembly to turn and was able to remove the clutch and flywheel. Sorry for not being clearer on the issue in my original post.
I was simply stripping the motor down so I could list the parts. It seemed a shame to junk the whole thing so I salvaged the flywheel, gen, distributor, head, crank and more. The block itself is toast and will head off for recycling on Monday.
Thanks again for the input.
Paul | | |
| |