The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, Peggy M, Millenimech, NJC), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#129004 01/13/2003 7:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9
M
msm
Offline
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9
Okay, fellas.....I know I can swap front crossmembers, but has anyone ever put a '76 swb Chevy frame under a '64 swb Chevy body? It would save me a helluva lot of time, for sure....any pros/cons? suggestions?


Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

1964 Chevrolet SWB Stepside
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
#129005 01/14/2003 3:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
how would it save time?you would have to make cab mounts,bumper mounts,adapt the steering,rerun some wiring after finding a way to swap a heavy cab and frontend.you can bolt in a crossmember up to a 1987 in after slotting four holes and drilling two holes for the later idler arm.you can add power steering with a kit and minor welding.

#129006 01/15/2003 7:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9
M
msm
Offline
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 9
I would save time in rearend and frontend. Are you sure you have to make new cab / bumper mounts? I mean, everything I've seen sofar between the two frames will interchange w/no mods, even brake lines (which I'll replace, of course, but making a point on how interchangeable things are on the two). That's what I'm asking, trying to find out if anyone's made the swap and what all had to be changed.

If I don't have to swap out the fwd crossmember and hunt for '72 rear axle, just put the '76 frame under the truck, that'd save me a lot of time. I don't want ps. Wiring will be brand new.


Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

1964 Chevrolet SWB Stepside
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
#129007 01/17/2003 1:44 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 244
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 244
I put a '57 GMC cab and fenders on a '77 Chevy Dually frame. Not difficult to do. I just need time to finish it. Too many "honey-do's".

\'57 GMC Dually

#129008 02/03/2003 8:37 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
A friend of mine put a 66' LWB chevy on a 76 or 77 4WD suburban frame. He had to modify some stuff here and there, but he's driving the truck on and off road all the time. It's his daily transportation. I'll talk to him and get any helpful info I can.


If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.


1941 Pontiac business coupe
1947 Chev Coupe
1969 GTO ragtop

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0