The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (TS3600, cmayna, Opelika Tom, Otto Skorzeny, TexasJim50, klhansen, Shaffer's1950, Oswald), 56 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,281
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
4
New Guy
New Guy
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Hi all, first post here. Just brought home a one owner 46 pickup. The original owners 90 year old wife wants it going again. There's a lot of history in this old truck.
Anyway I volunteered to help her get it going. Its been sitting for about 15 years. Owners son has periodically put a little oil in the cylinders and hand cranked it over so
its free. I've got a lot of questions as I've never dealt with an early GM. Not sure if I should post hear or in General forum. Currently trying to get electrical sorted out.
Can't get the starter to kick. Not trying to start it yet, but need to get the starter to turn. No noise, click or anything. I'm getting power to the coil so I think the key switch is making.
Yes, I'm cleaning all connections as I go.
Anyway, looking forward to gabbing with you all.
Attachments
46pkup6.jpg (66.29 KB, 123 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
46pkup, welcome to the 'bolt. That looks like a fun project. There are threads that discuss what you need to do to resurrect
an engine that has been sitting for a while. Make sure you check the brakes too!

Please scroll through the various forums to see what they have to offer.

Make sure to check out the rules of the page as well.

Questions pertaining to your problem are welcome and will usually get answered quickly.

There are many "how I done it's" here as well that can be found using the search feature.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure? As Rusty Rod said, the site is broken down into many area specific forums. Before posting a question make sure you research the forum you are posting in to make sure it’s the best place to get a goog answer. Read through our Tech Tips and see if there is one addressing the problem you’re having. We also have a search feature that will take you to discussions about a particular subject. You’re in for quite a ride! shake


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
4
New Guy
New Guy
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks, been nosin around already. Will pursue other methods. My apologies.

Added by Rusty Rod.... No need for an apology!! 99% of the folks on here are happy to answer any questions you might have that they have knowledge of. the other 1% will answer it too.

Last edited by Rusty Rod; 12/02/2018 9:14 PM.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,414
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,414
Nice looking truck, real solid and mostly rust free.

Welcome to the "Bolt".

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Welcome to the Bolt! I love '46's--grew up with one.

One piece of advice I will give you regarding getting yours running. You probably ran across this in your search, but I can tell you--if it's been sitting that long, DO NOT attempt to start it with the gas that's in the tank! The tank has to be thoroughly cleaned out or replaced. Old gas and varnish can and will raise all sorts of cain with your engine. Been there, done that.

Good luck on your project. Keep us posted on your progress.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
4
New Guy
New Guy
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks all for the comments. Yeah, the gas tank is really nasty. In the process of draining to see if it can be sealed. Ive done the tanks in a couple of old Fergusons with good luck.
Don't think I was mashing the starter pedal hard enough to get past the natural stop at the solenoid or whatever the gismo is on top of the starter with 3 wires going distributor.
Is it something to do with the reverse polarity??
Tom B

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
Welcome to SBP!
Great looking truck, and you'll do fine with it. smile



Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure?

NOPE!!





Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0