The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
Hello,

I have been reading the excellent 261 Rebuild tech tip and I would like to thank you folks for putting that together. It will be well-used as I rebuild my 261.

I really want to do right by this old engine and was wondering what types of tools I will need to do a check of my block to determine if machining is necessary? e.g. What types of micrometer, calipers, feelers etc. will I need to accurately measure tolerances? Besides the obvious wrenches and sockets, what else might I need to pick up to get started? Anything that I can do myself I am willing and capable of doing.

Thanks.

James


1951 GMC 9430 long box w/ hoist
1952 GMC 9430 long box w/ hoist (sold)
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Torque wrench, piston ring squeezer, Plastigauge, bore gauge, 2-4" mic, feeler gauge set, glaze breaker (if no re-bore), and optional magnetic stand dial indicator (crank end play and other), Some things like a ring expander pliers and oil priming tool are nice but not mandatory. My stiff finders and the very short stove bolts for the timing cover, pan, and side cover makes my "snap" tool that grips a slot head screw nice to have. You can make some like rubber guide hose on the rod bolts. While torn down a drilled and tapped bolt hole in the crank snout is good. I'm sure I'm missing t least one or up to a dozen but others will take up the slack.


Evan
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
If there is a noticeable "ring ridge" at the top of the cylinders, a ridge reamer must be used to machine it away before trying to remove the pistons. Otherwise, the top piston ring will hang up on the wear ridge and probably break a ring land on a piston, making the piston worthless. If there's a noticeable ridge at the top, the cylinders are probably worn too far to accept a re-ring job, but the ridge needs to be removed before disassembly anyway.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
OK, as (I'm sure from my comments/questions it's obvious) a relatively recent Stovebolt owner (of 5 years or so) I don't know if one needs a valve spring compressor or not. And since most folks will take the head to a shop for any freshening up needed it likely a moot point anyway.


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
You can take the distributor from your old 216 and remove the drive gear. You can then use the distributor to turn the oil pump in the 261, once you rebuild it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934


1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
I was checking out some ridge reaming myself. Looks like something I can handle. So the reaming is likely necessary to safely extract the cylinders, but what about the honing? If I don't need them rebored, would you hone anyways or only if there are scratches on the cylinders? Is it possible to over-hone and take to much metal off?

Nix, I had an extra long spade drill bit that I ground flat into a paddle that I use to spin the pump. It doesn't fit as snug as the distributor but works well.

What about for getting all the crap off the head and block? I don't have a pressure washer, but was hoping to spray on a bunch of oven cleaner, let it sit, then brush it off and rinse with a hose. I am nervous to use a steel wire brush on the block and was going to use brass. Am I being too careful?

Thanks.


1951 GMC 9430 long box w/ hoist
1952 GMC 9430 long box w/ hoist (sold)
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I use paint brush cleaner. I scrape off all the junk I can and then start using the brush cleaner. I let it soak for at least a half hour or more. Steel brushes will not hurt the block at all.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
I have used a boiling tank made of a 55 gallon drum split lengthwise, filled with water and 2-3 cans of lye, plus half a box of Tide. Build a fire around the drum and have a weenie roast while the block, head, and other cast iron and sheet metal parts boil clean. Don't put any aluminum in there- - - -the lye will eat it!

Be sure to measure the cylinder taper before deciding if the block is a candidate for a re-ring job instead of a rebore. If there's over .005" of taper you're going to have a very short life ring job. In the tutorial on John's 261 there's a section on measuring taper with a used piston ring and a feeler gauge. A re-ring requires the use of a glaze breaker, which is different than a rigid hone. After any glaze breaking or honing operation use a stiff bristle brush and lots of hot soapy water followed by a rinse with clean hot water to flush all the abrasive residue out of the cylinders. I completely wore out a set of piston rings in one trip from California to Tennessee (2500 miles) after failing to get the cylinders clean enough after an in the frame ring and rod bearing job on a flathead Rambler American engine. By the end of the trip the engine was using 3 quarts of oil to a tank of gas, with no external leaks!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0