The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, MRMEROTH11, JW51, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
This is a very elementary question for most of you I'm sure. However learning as I go, I have a question concerning the use of gasket sealant on cork valve cover gaskets on a 283 engine. I want to do everything I can as period correct on my surviver 58 Viking 60 with a 283. Does one need a sealant or just the cork gasket? Thanks for your thoughts


The 1958 TRI-FECTA
Stepside, Fleetside and Cameo

In the Gallery
More Fleetside pix
More Cameo pix
More Apache Stepside pix
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
I don't know about the rest of these folks Pete, but I always seal them at the bottom (where the gasket contacts the head). I use Permatex Aviation sealer. Sealing at the bottom allows for a bit more height. If you don't use any sealer, they'll leak and if you do use sealer they may still leak. Straighten the valve cover sealing surfaces well and while they're not technically correct I use spreaders to help make sure they seal.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
Thank you Jon.


The 1958 TRI-FECTA
Stepside, Fleetside and Cameo

In the Gallery
More Fleetside pix
More Cameo pix
More Apache Stepside pix
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Pete,

Another thing that may help is using cork gaskets bonded to a steel core. It's a sandwich with cork as the bread and steel as the lunch meat. Cork is about as low tech as a gasket material can get but in my experience it great for sealing in oil at valve covers and intake manifold front and back ends. It does compress when first installed so a few retightenings are required. It was long ago but I think I remember Chevy switching from offset to parallel valve cover screws during the 1959 model year. If it's the parallel you have Fel-Pro #1649 is the "Steel Core Cork Lam" gasket set that fits.

Have fun!


Ray
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
Great advise as always. Love this site and community. So helpful


The 1958 TRI-FECTA
Stepside, Fleetside and Cameo

In the Gallery
More Fleetside pix
More Cameo pix
More Apache Stepside pix

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0