The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,378
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1285478 10/30/2018 7:14 PM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
HI

My truck is an older restoration done by my Dad in the 1980's. I'm learning to work on it as I go, and he's deceased so unfortunately I can't ask him what to do, but I'm trying to learn how to get the truck back into top shape as a tribute to him. It's a 1953 3100, all original. When I shift into any gear and let off the clutch, there is a squeak/vibration noise that occurs as I accelerate into the newly selected gear. It goes away after getting up to speed a bit. After reading and investigating, I'm thinking this may be the clutch fork or pressure plate, but again I'm still learning here, so I wanted to to see if I could get some input from the experts.

Should I lubricate anything in the mechanism and if so, what would work best for this application?

Thanks!!

Last edited by mattconrad5150; 10/30/2018 7:24 PM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Throw out bearing.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Should I lubricate the throwout bearing or is there something else I need to do?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Normally, the clutch throw-out (clutch release) bearing is sealed.

If the bearing-balls are worn, it can rattle.

If the the throw-out bearing "arm" is loose (worn ball, for example), it could rattle.

If the throw-out bearing arm spring is loose/missing, you will hear rattling.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/113.HTM
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0689.htm

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Thanks for sharing that information. Is there any harm in driving it occasionally until I can get that fixed?

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Probably not. I wouldn't drive it too much, though. The transmission must be removed to change it. There will be a lot more labor than parts. I've done this several times just by jacking up the truck a bit and lying on my back. You'll need to be fit, though. The transmission isn't light, but there are many which are heavier. You need to be able to lay it up on your chest and then sort of bench press it up into place. Depending on how much work your dad did in the 80s, it might be a good idea to remove the pressure plate and clutch plate and at least see how those look and how the flywheel looks also.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0