The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 133 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,175
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1284825 10/25/2018 3:59 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
I have a 49 GMC FC 101 with a SBC. I want to add A/C/heater/defrost. I used Vintage Air in my 69 Camaro a few years ago with good success so I am leaning that way but I thought some of members of this site may have some other suggestions to look into. As I see it the Vintage system for the Series 1 Chevy/GMC truck will cost me about $1,500.00.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

tswillow #1285056 10/27/2018 12:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
For premium units we prefer the Old Air unit over Vintage as it works just as good and retains a full size glove box. For an economy unit we use an under dash unit from Lucky"s in Ennis, Texas. He usually has them at shows for around eight to nine hundred dollars for a turn key set up and they are not the ugly box looking unit. This pic of one in a 49 doesn't show the entire unit but gives one the idea of the looks.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Hc5MkLxr/dan-s-49-010.jpg[/img]


Evan
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
I just put a Vintage air Mini Compact unit in my '37. It blows 38 degree air even on the hottest days. It will freeze up if it's humid out, but I heard before purchasing it they could do that. I am really happy with it, but it was expensive, not quite $1300 with everything needed to finish the job.

Best advise I can give is get the cooling system working correctly before adding air, fan shroud and good radiator. If you can't move the heat out of the condenser and radiator, it doesn't matter what A/C system you buy, it won't cool! I have a 18" mechanical fan with no clutch on a 250 inline with a 17" wide radiator just to be sure it stays cool.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0