If you have a look at the attached photo, this is the heater core mounted to the firewall when I purchased my 1951 3100 5-window. It doesn't look right. From what I've seen in photos from other trucks, the blower motor usually sticks through the firewall, filling in the big hole. Not only does this not line up with the hole, the motor isn't even deep enough to protrude from the casing.
So, in rebuilding the truck, I'm at a crossroads here. Is this possibly not the original blower motor/heater core? Could it possibly be the original unit, just not mounted correctly? I can also provide a photo of the unit out of the truck, if that helps.
Definitely looks like the heater has been swapped out for one that's not correct. You can see the outline in the paint where the correct one was. Maybe if you post a picture of the heater from the inside someone can identity it.
So the one I have is the top one, the "recirculating heater" shown in the first link. I'd be happy to obtain the cover plate and be done with it, but I haven't found one yet. And, FYI, the Norco valve shown in the third photo I have, though it needs repair or rebuilding.
Thanks Brad! So in that photo there's the side panel block-off plate. My truck has that block-off plate installed, however in the bins of parts that came with the truck was the vented plate. Still, no round firewall cover plate. I tested the fan motor but haven't tested water flow in the heater core. The switch and the fan work great (especially with a 12v battery) and I have a 12-6v transformer so i could just put it back in as it was, but would really want a cover plate on there so it's not so ugly.
Actually, that part about the vented plate might not make sense. I have a piece that's rectangular in shape that is about the same size as the blockoff plate, but has no holes to put screws through. This may just be a metal piece that is part of the outer body replacement parts as my truck has cab corner and floor issues and has that section in front of the passenger door already cut away. I received a piece from LMC parts that came with the truck for that front passenger side to weld in.
That round block-off plate would be a piece of cake to fabricate. It's just a flat piece of steel. My truck has one and I could give you measurements if you want to fab one up.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
That round block-off plate would be a piece of cake to fabricate. It's just a flat piece of steel. My truck has one and I could give you measurements if you want to fab one up.
Yeah, I was thinking I might have to do that. Considering how simple it is I was figuring on buying it on the cheap. But since I can't find one making one would be my next best option. Measurements would be helpful, thanks.
I'll try and get you measurements tonight. Your local hardware probably sells small pieces of sheet metal. You'd just need some tin snips to cut it out.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
The plate is 4-3/4 inch diameter. The three screws are 120 degrees apart on a bolt circle 4-1/4 inches diameter.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.