The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (klhansen, John Dlugos, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Oswald, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1283973 10/17/2018 8:44 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 406
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 406

When I replaced my 465 trans. for a t5 I lost my trans. mounted park brake in the exchange. I've got the original rear housing which does not have place for cable operated brakes. The 2x4 park brake I use now works fine around the house but not so good down the road, and I doubt its legal.
Has any one out there come across this problem and if so what was the solution .

John


good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Rear brake setup with parking brake cables would be best. Either foot lever on left side for setting or hand lever adapted to bolt onto your transmission. Borrow parts from another model AD truck that had this setup, and the parking brake cross shaft behind the cab.

If you're good ad swapping stuff around you may find that you can adapt drum brakes from a somewhat newer model 14 bolt axle, these have parking brake cables.
Some reading here. Though I have not fully investigated adapting the newer drum brakes on the old Eaton I'm reasonably sure it can be done one way or another, and it might be real easy...
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread.../14-bolt-axle-swap-info.html#Post1249600


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 406
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 406
Thanks Grigg , I'll try that. I'll find a 14bolt rear end and see if I can exchange parts from the backing plate out.
I also thought of mounting a caliper by the hanger bearing and a rotor on the front drive shaft to line up with the caliper and and then a small master under the removable floor pan to be operated by the original park brake handle, but I think your suggestion would be more feasible


good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
It’s not advisable/legal to use a hydraulic brake for parking, better off with mechanical that won’t leak down over time.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
The 3/4 tons have the parking brake on the rear brakes so could they be made to work.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0