| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,076 Posts1,056,280 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 | I have slipped and have a new project, 1937 1 1/2 ton, I will need to remove and stabalize some surface rust on the body panels, will it be workable to sand to bright metal and then use a chemical treatment before a primer? this will be a rough stabalization/ restoration, not a full frame off...Any thoughts? Cheers | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Welcome to the bolt. I would not recommend the sandblasting if the panels are basically flat as there is a very good chance they would warp leaving you with more troubles than you now have. I would suggest getting some discs like these http://www.abrasives4sale.com/strip-clean.htm which can be used on an angle grinder to remove your surface rust and old paint. Once that process is complete I would treat the panels with a rust converter such as Rust-Mort or similar. Follow that by a coat of epoxy primer on which you can either paint or perform additional body work depending on your desired results. Enjoy your project and send in some pictures. We like seeing other people's challenges/efforts. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I wire brushed/sanded mine before treating. It's working OK so far.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | For a first class job I think it best to use a chemical paint stripper and a DA sander on what you can reach, then gently sand blast all the rest and the deep rust the sander would not remove. The reason for not blasting everything is to reduce warping, as it takes a very skilled, or a very slow, blaster operator to not ruin a panel. This info I picked up while working at an antique auto restoration shop who does very high quality restorations.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 | Thanks gents, I was inclined to keep it in house anyway, so we will sand away and treat, followed by epoxy primer, then filler if I cant resist...cheers. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | If you aren't going to remove the body from the frame and don't want to mess with the drivetrain, don't sandblast it, as you will never get the grit out of the mechanical parts.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 59 | Sand blasting degrades the metal, however if you can find some one who is using plastic media it works very well but donesn't degrade the metal. | | |
| |
| |