I'm about to buy new wheels and tires for my 1954 modified Chevy 3100.
To give you a little background info, from what the previous owner has told me years ago, it has an older Camaro rear-end, TH350 transmission, and I know it has a 350 SBC engine. It has the original front end springs and axel and height, however, it does have disc brakes and power steering. Currently I have 15"X7" wheels and 215 tires(tight on the tie-rod end side 3/4" but never a rub). I am looking to buy the Cragar SS Direct Drill (5 X 4 3/4 studs) . After researching and doing my homework on measuring for offset and backspace(3 major tire dealers would not assist), I'm pretty sure the Cragar SS 15"X8 with a 235 tire will fit. The reason I wanted to go with the 8" wheels is, I thought it would fill the wheel-wells out a little more fuller, and I thought the 8" Cragars would have a little more deeper dish look compared to the 7"(although I have not been able to compare 7" and 8" side by side to know for sure).
My question is: How will going from a current 7" tire, to an 8" tire affect my ride/steering/handling? Will I notice the increased road friction in any negative way?
Hi Hank. The 6.00x16 tires that came on your truck had a tread width of around 4.5" or so, a section width of about 6.5" and a diameter a bit over 28 inches. Any tire wider than this will make a difference in steering and handling, but if you've been ok with what you have now, it may be that an extra inch won't be too bad. I think going from 215 to 235 will increase the width by around an inch or a bit less...if memory is right about 3/4 of an inch is what I'm thinking.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
The best combination for handling is the tread width of the tire is the same as the width of the wheel. I like 235X15 tires on 7 in wheels. They drive good & look sharp. George
They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super In the Gallery Forum
I'm willing to wager my pink slip that no one in existence can tell the difference between a 7-inch wheel and an 8-inch wheel just from riding in the truck.
The industry standard for wheel width VS tread width is 80%. A 235 MM tread width tire has a footprint of 9.25". 80% of that width is 7.40". An 8" wheel is only slightly too wide, so either one will be sufficient. Putting that much rubber on the road without power steering, compared to an original equipment skinny tire is going to give you an upper body workout, no matter which wheel width you choose. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Putting that much rubber on the road without power steering, compared to an original equipment skinny tire is going to give you an upper body workout.....
aka Armstrong Power Steering.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I think Jay Zed is correct. I have tires on 6" and 7" rims. Here's a picture. Can you tell which rim is the wider one? (ignore the plank on top - that's just there to stop them from falling over - one tire is not noticeably taller than the other)