The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
Greetings, I am in the early stages of completely rebuilding/preserving my 57 3200. Some of the fasteners that were on the truck to mount inner & outer fenders, the bed, etc were obviously not original. Also, I found that my cab bolts (cab to frame) were totally missing (!) I have the factory assembly manual which gives part numbers, but I'm not finding the specs for these part numbers which I could use to locate correct replacement parts.

Can anyone suggest a way to go from Chevy part number to part number spec? Also, any suggestions on the best place(s) to get these kinds of fasteners (maybe a kit containing complete sets of fasteners)? Finally, any suggested sources for grommets/other rubber parts that I'll be needing? There seems to be a wide range of quality and price out there, I am willing to pay a fair price for good quality parts, if that helps.

Thanks in advance...

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Everything you asked for (kits) are available a ClassicParts.com and others. I've had good luck with them. . Don't know what level of build you are doing. Old hardware part numbers are no good for anything unless they also give the size.
If you are new to this hobby, go to Classic website and look at ALL the parts they have for 55-59 so you will have a mental library of all their parts. Will take some time but you need to do it once if you are new.

I usually go to the hardware store for bolts. (ACE or HD). There are just a few thread sizes used with various lengths. I enjoy figuring it out and making a list. It's easy. No waiting and returns are easy.
It will be less expensive than paying for some "kit" and shipping.
It is common to find out that a few older original automotive bolt lengths are no longer available. Truck/car makers could get anything they wanted, but now increments are larger and standard. No big deal to go a little longer.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
For ALL rubber products go to Steele Rubber Products. Quality products that fit right the first time. As bartamos says the usual suppliers ( LMC, Classic Parts, Jim Carter, et al ) have the bolt kits. They will send you a paper catalog upon request.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
Thanks, guys. Yep, I am new to the hobby and have been starting to identify the various online classic parts suppliers and what they offer. Spent a couple hours on the Jim Carter site last night ;-) I also saw Steele's site, looks as if they have top quality and prices to match! I am putting together a driver but trying to do it right. I'll check out the hardware stores too, just was wondering if the guys that have been doing this for a looooonnnnnng time had specific online sources they like best. Thanks again for the input.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
For most parts, I look at:
Classic Parts : https://www.classicparts.com/
Chevs of the 40s : https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/
Jim Carter : http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/

Make a list, and compare pricing/shipping.

Classic Parts & Jim Carter have sales every so often - get on their mailing list.
They both might give discounts for orders over a certain amount (ask them - it used to be for $300+ orders).

The rubber parts from Steele Rubber are almost always worth the higher prices.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
For your front end sheet metal hardware I go to McMaster-Carr and buy in bulk. I can get a box of 50 or 100 for what you'll pay for 20 at the hardware store. This also gives me extras for the next project.

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-hex-head-screws

Once you get to their web site via that link, lookup Flanged Hex head Screws and then Medium-Strength Steel Flanged Hex Head Screws–Grade 5 and you'll see the exact style bolts Chevrolet used.

Steele Rubber will last, the other stuff comes from Taiwan/China and a few years out will start to check and crack. I have window rubber from Steele on my '35 Coupe that was installed in 1980 and it all still looks good! It's worth the extra money because you only have to do it once...

Mike B smile

Last edited by Mike B; 09/09/2018 8:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
Thanks for all the replies, just the kind of advice I was looking for! Much appreciated everyone ;-)

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215


Ditto on Steele products. The rubbers I got were quite inferior, exactly as Mike explained earlier.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
If you really want to dive into finding what the original parts are, get an old "GM Standard Parts Catalog". They are on eBay and sometimes swap meets all the time. It is a useful cross reference even though most of the GM part numbers in it are no longer offered by GM. It lists fastener and fitting sizes with the corresponding part numbers for standard common parts.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 58
Flangebolts.com has the factory style bolts and nuts.


'66 C60 body, '97 C6500 chassis, '07 LBZ Duramax with Allison 1000
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxwv1C6Ay2oxYH7u7

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0