The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Barry Martak, 55shaker, Bill Hanlon), 139 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 678
I just saw a '51 Suburban for sale on Ebay that claims to have had the "original undercoating." I've seen other panels and Subs with undercoating that, if not factory original, was obviously applied decades ago and seem to have preserved the metal beneath very well.

So did Subs come with "original undercoating?" Was it factory applied? Was it an option? Or was it applied aftermarket?
Attachments
0000s-l1600.jpg (41.37 KB, 112 downloads)


1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** The 53 Suburban I purchased from the orig. owner some time ago was undercoated. **

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Correction #1: I think mine came with an undercoating.

My Suburban had undercoating when I bought it in 1971. I can find no documentation that states that GM put this on at the factory. I doubt that the original owner put it on, but the dealer might have put it on.

Correction #2: Third try lucky: the Factory Assembly Manual shows the undercoating locations.

Last edited by tclederman; 09/05/2018 8:07 PM. Reason: corrected (twice) - crossed-out statements
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
It was common practice back in the day for the dealer to offer Undercoating as an upgrade to the sale. They would either apply it themselves in their body shop or farm it out to a local shop. We did hundreds of them in the mid 70's when I worked for a large nationwide chain store (now defunct) for the local Chevy dealer. Messy job and my mechanics hated to be the lucky one to draw the short straw.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thanks, Martin, for clearing up my mistake in the post above. I have edited my post above.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Undercoating was definitely a dealer applied product.

The factory did use a tar based undercoating on the interior side of the body panels during assembly { same thing that was used to coat the headlight buckets }
But....given the propensity of the quarter panels to rot from the inside out on these bodies, I wished they had applied more of it to the interior panels.





Attachments
metalman57.jpg (64.44 KB, 80 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I am wrong again - simplex tweeked my aging memory cells - the Factory Assembly Manual shows the locations that sheet metal received "under coating".

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
I remember that F.A.M. reference also Tim but, the sheet says that it only applies to the truck cabs.
I have never seen any documentation specifically addressing undercoating on the single unit body burbs & panels.
Attachments
IMG_5946.JPG (190.91 KB, 72 downloads)


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0