The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (GRNHydra, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
Also wanted to post some pics on this as well as I have found a bunch of info in the threads here that helped me. First time I have ever tore apart a transmission. Tore it all the way down and sandblasted and powder coated the case.

Fnished product
Powder coating the case
Baking the oils out after sand blasting case
Gears in the parts washer
Gears pre-wash
My first look in the trans after popping the shift cover off
What it looked like when I started
What it looked like when I started 2 with the drive shaft when I started. This is AFTER scraping with a screw driver to find the bolts!


Jason

Working on my first restomod on a 1950 3100 Shortbed (235 engine, 3 on the tree, disc brakes, etc.)

1950 Chevy 3100

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 246
Z
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 246
Jason....thanks for the photos...J in CT


1953 chevy 1/2 ton with 3 speed 318 on floor and 1955 235 engine
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
No problem. Just realized I forgot to post it is a Muncie 318 transmission with the torque tube closed drive shaft. I got my rebuild kit online from https://transmissionpartsdistributors.com/ (part #BK131) . The kit cost me a little under $94 delivered to my door and they got it to me in like 2 days, even though I just chose standard shipping.


Jason

Working on my first restomod on a 1950 3100 Shortbed (235 engine, 3 on the tree, disc brakes, etc.)

1950 Chevy 3100

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jason,

Which kit did you use.
1. https://www.transmissionpartsdistri...ission-rebuild-kit-fits-53-69-gm-bk131a/
2. https://www.transmissionpartsdistri...d-parts-rebuild-kits/muncie-318-319.html

Did you do the rebuild?
If yes, did you use the Shop Manual and/or a transmission rebuild manual?

Did you need any special tools?

Thanks,

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 93
This is the kit I used: https://www.transmissionpartsdistri...rebuild-kit-fits-40-54-gm-3-speed-bk131/ (Found a 5% coupon code for them online)

The only special tool I needed was the one I made to remove the bearing retainer ring. I just welded together some angle iron. I had zero idea what I was doing, plus I am no welder but it worked like a champ.
Bearing retainer removal tool I made

I used the shop manual.

Last edited by wilsjay; 08/27/2018 1:02 PM.

Jason

Working on my first restomod on a 1950 3100 Shortbed (235 engine, 3 on the tree, disc brakes, etc.)

1950 Chevy 3100


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0