The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
I'm starting to refurbish the steel wheels for my '51 GMC and was wondering what other's have done for paint? I was planning on using base/clear in red. Any reason not to? The base/clear, not the red. smile

Dan

Last edited by e9coupe; 08/23/2018 10:16 PM.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 117
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 117
Well that will work and should last a long time. I usually just use a good quality rattle can. I guess the base clear is the same as what is one the body of the truck?

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by 79broncoowner
Well that will work and should last a long time. I usually just use a good quality rattle can. I guess the base clear is the same as what is one the body of the truck?

The paint on the body is old, thin red paint that I'm giving a "worn patina" look. I've never done it before so my expectations are low, but I actually like how it's coming out so far. The paint is so thin that I'm removing areas with acetone and a scrub pad, which is kinda cool since it doesn't leave sanding marks. I'll post some photos..

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Actually?
I used dip it. It’s in a rattle can now. All you have to do is clean any oil and grease off and spray 6 light coats. On the last coat make it a “wet” coat. One can did all 4 rims.

When you get tired of it or want to change the color. Peel it off and do it again. It doesn’t come off with normal use.

You can also paint over it with car paint in a can, and it will still peel off.

Don



Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0