The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nick in Manitou, 1 invisible), 56 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1276583 08/16/2018 10:13 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Hi I’m back with a simple or dumb question...
I want to put aluminum pistons into my 216 engine
After some research seems I can buy them for about $50 or less each online, but anyone know the best place with decent reputation to source that?
Alternatively... and I might be crazy here,
But suppose I have access to a lathe and I have many extra aluminum 235 pistons laying around (which I do) if I cheaped out on this idea could I just take about 0.06 off those 235 pistons and squeeze them in with std rings into my 216? Or would I need to absolutely use 216 rings for the diameters and widen my ring grooves on the piston to accommodate?
This project isn’t a performance engine or nothing, I’m just daydreaming of saving a few dollars with the stuff I got already that’s just takin up space.
Thanks for any inputs
-s

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Just bore the 216 block 60 over (actually .0625") and use the 235 pistons "as is". You'll increase the displacement to 224 cubic inches, raise the compression slightly, and reduce the tendency for the Babbit rods to wear as rapidly due to the lighter piston weight. You'll also be able to turn a few more RPM without beating the rods to death. Unless you've got a cam-grinding machine, simply turning the pistons on a lathe won't work- - - -the piston skirts aren't round. Their widest point is at right angles to the wrist pin, and the piston gets round as it heats up because it has an Invar anti-expansion strut cast into the piston pin boss on both sides.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Thanks for the suggestion Jerry I’ll follow up on that solution as I’m not sure the minimum cutting needed yet to get the ridges out of my block. But going up to 235 diameter would definitely take all the bad out.
-s

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Those blocks are pretty thick- - - -80 or even100 over doesn't present much of a proble4m as long as the cooling system is in good shape. You also get to run standard bore 235 rings without doing any butcher work on the pistons.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
Egge.com is a good source for all internal engine parts. I bought my pistons there for my 235.


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Egge should include a quart of Vaseline with all their orders!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I got my aluminum 216 pistons from Kanter. For that fact I got the whole overhaul kit from them. Lifetime guarantee.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0