The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Shaffer's1950, Cletus1950, Leo, NAPCOStormTrpr, Otto Skorzeny, GDW, MNSmith, Hanks custodian, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 103 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Hi there i am new here and new to my truck its 50 shortbox frame off 400sbc 700r4 with cordoba front 10bolt posi rear very cherry, the foot pedal park brake installed with release all cables springs etc are brand new. Problem i have is the pedal will not stay in locked position engaged? I cant see a gear or something to hold it in engaged position at the flooror underneath? Anybody can help?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Do you have this system as in Fiq.9 or a newer parking brake system?


http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0506.htm


Drew
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
hi drewp, yes thats the one i have as in picture

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
does anyone know how it locks? the lockbar is just a shaft there is no teeth or anything to lock?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

It locks by friction between the inside edge of the pedal lock against the lock bar. Do you have a spring around the lock bar between the pedal lock and the floor?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
hi, yes there is a spring there between floor & pedal lock, is it not loaded enough? wats up thks

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
HELP

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Does anyone know how to adjust it so it locks? i cant figure

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
Nobadays- it has been quite a while since I took mine apart and I am not yet at the stage of reassembling it so my recolection may be flawed. I seem to remember the pedal lock having a tapered edge where it engages the shaft. The spring should be trying to place it in a slight bind in relation to the shaft. I think it may only work if the taper (similar to a thick knife edge) is facing the right direction in relation to the shaft. I never had problems remembering how things go back together when doing repairs but after 2+ years I am very thankful for the assembly manual and this forum.

Chuck

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
Thanks Hookalatch, i took it all apart and filed the knife edges removing paint etc. I also noticed the spring almost fits through the hole in the floor so it was partially out not fully loading. I drilled & filed a flat washer so the spring would sit in its proper place without falling out of the hole. If you know what I mean?? Anyway now its working, kinda crappy engineering i think, it can slip. cheers

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Yes, they do tend to slip. They may not have new but they do now.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
nobadays, I too had the same problem,I 'cured' it by filing the bar as suggested to increase the 'bite',I also stretched the spring slightly to increase the load on the bar.
It's still not as good as I would like though........

Our annual inspection requires a working parking brake so I hope mine will hold long enough for a pass ticket. eek


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Having the same issue and wonder if you were able to solve the problem ? I just replaced the parking brake (autobody shop lost mine! argh!!).. and it wont bind when I push on the parking brake. Anyway, I found an original replacement, Lever, Push Rod and Bracket. I get everything mounted up and push the lever and NADA!
HOping you might have a tip or two to get this to work.

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
Mine was missing when I got my 49-3100. Got all the parts and it now works fine, However you must clean with scotch brite, sand paper or whatever, the shaft going thru the firewall. No rust and no paint as someone on this fine site pointed out to me--Bill

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Thanks, I had given the rod a quick blast of spray paint to clean it up, perhaps that didn't help things.. I will sand it off and try it again.. Thanks!

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Just cleaned off all the paint and rust and put everything back together, but still will not engage.. I guess it could be the spring, but the spring sure seems robust enough to push out the lever. Not sure what else I am missing here, since there isn't a whole lot of moving parts..



Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0