I just wanted to share my experience with this product. It was given to me by a friend and I have to say it is the most incredible product I have ever used when dealing with rust. You paint it on right over rust and it chemically reacts to convert it into a paintable surface. You dont have to paint over it if you dont want. 1 gallon could do your entire truck. It looks like milk and you paint it on. It turns bluish greenish color and after about 30 to 60 minutes it turns the rust into a darker color and ends up looking more like you clearcoated the rust into a dark look. You can rub the surface after it dries and no residue no flaking of the rust, it is gone! Stops the rusting process dead in its tracks. I dont know how readily available it is but if you can find it you will not be disappointed. You can see it on applied in some of my pics from my google photos folder I shared.
Just google it
I can attach a link but not sure if we are allowed
I’ve used a converter like that on parts unseen on my truck. Turns it black and then I just paint it. Not sure how well it works because I keep it inside and never drive it in the rain. I’m sure in my lifetime I won’t see the rust get any worse.
Don
Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
I can't recommend it. We used a similar product (looks like milk, turns blue/black as it dries) We did a fender with it. It looked fine for several years, then we started seeing spider like corrosion marks appear under the paint. The fender was removed, sand blasted down to bare metal and primed and painted. Should be OK now....
I used a similar product also on my daily driver. Was so impressed with the immediate results. After one winter though the underside of the truck looks as bad as before I applied it. Huge waste of time and money. Dave
This product works very well on areas of the frame and other components that are impossible to reach if you are NOT doing a body-off resto. There are just areas that you can not access sometimes to properly without entirely taking the truck apart. Most owners of these truck do not have the capabilities to that kind of work. In these cases this product will stop the rust in its tracks. I dont think this is meant for outer sheetmetal work on the outside, this is behind the scenes stuff. In my case I give it 2 thumbs up.
It converts iron oxide to iron tannate so it basically creates a different coating on a rusted (oxidized) surface. You're suppose to paint over the top of it to help seal from oxygen and the elements but it's not a miracle product. It's used in marine applications all the time but it's just maintenance. It's definitely better to use it than to ignore a rusted area, but like Frank said, it doesn't replace good 'ol metal repairs, grinding, sanding, priming, painting.... 8-)
I used a rust converter on the floor board of my MGB many years ago - was pretty badly surface rusted. I never even top coted it, just wanted it to be serviceable. After 150 - 200 thousand miles, it never rusted. It wore down to bright metal where my feet rubbed.