The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1275027 08/04/2018 3:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
I didn't find anything in a search for big bolt spare, 22.5" tire/wheel combo is too heavy for me to lift into the rack. Original carrier hangs from the frame rails behind the rear axle, large wing nuts to snug the tire against the frame. How in the world did they manhandle the tire up into the rack, I think it takes two men and a boy. I'm working on a winch to lift it but it's still gonna' be a bear to position the tire in the front rack and swing the rear rack under, anyone with experience on this set-up?


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I've never done it, but will the bottle jack fit under the tire support arm to lift it in place? Wheel and tire could weigh about 120 pounds...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Mike, I suppose some parts could be missing but there is no arm for leverage or any type of sliding arrangement, just a "U" shaped stationary rack and a swinging support that hangs on threaded eye bolts with large wing nuts to take up the slack. It looks similar to a spare tire rack you would find on semi-trailer. And your right about the weight- I'm guessing 120-150lbs. The one I have is a Michelin 9R22.5 traction tread on the original steel wheel. My beer truck driver/delivery days are over, I used to be strong but under the truck is an awkward position to wrestle with that thing. Bob


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 92
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 92
I was thinking a floor jack should help. JP

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
My plan is to be able to get it off and on in case of a need on the road with as little extra equipment as possible. I had it up on two floor jacks but couldn't slip it into the rack, "Something will come along, just have to keep our eye's open"


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
I rigged up a hand winch and some uni-strut to lift the tire up to the frame rails. I didn't even have to drill anything, moved the rear rack back to some factory holes for the larger tire. Now I can lower and lift without killing myself and swing the suspended tire on the cable to position it in the rack. $20 and no permanent modifications to the truck!


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Lets see some pictures! pix

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Mike, I'm still in the dark ages when it comes to computer/wireless/electronic/techy gadgets, mostly because of limited need and interest.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 36
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 36
Seems like a Com-a-long and a pulley would be a very easy solution. Good luck!


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0