The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (MickeyP, MRMEROTH11, Gdads51, TexasJim50, 2-Ton, Southerntruck, Ponchogl, JW51, Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,383
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 48
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 48
I'll be welding in some new floorpans on Dad's 51 3100. Which size wire should I use on the mig- .023 or .030? Would it make a difference as far as finish or anything? Thanks.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 19
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 19
.023 is the way to go for body work. less weld deposit to grind. If your fabricating a trailer the .030 is better it will carry more Amps and deposit a weld faster

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 48
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 48
Thanks! I was kind of figuring the same, but thought I might be told that it was all a matter of feed speed and amperage. I appreciate it...

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
My first experience doing floor pans wasn't so neat and I blew holes thru the metal. frown Oh,the agony of grinding and filling. :mad: Hope yours goes much smoother. cool


Drew
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
I use .023 on thin like body pannels but floor pans and structure i use .035.But i punch holes around the out side of the pans so i can spot weld and grind them off. you can't even tell after you are done.


1955 GMC Big Window
1957 Chevy 1.5-Ton
1959 Chevy Short Fleetside
Plus lots more ...I LOVE THESE TRUCKS!!!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0