Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 | I am about to order an overhaul kit for my fuel pump for my 56 235 ( 4149-3316 on tag), and would like any input on where to get a quality kit. The pump seems to be working okay, and not leaking that I can see, but it is an unknown as to when it was last repaired or replaced and may even be original. As I have read in the forums recently, with ethanol fuel the seals and diaphrams may not last too long if they were not designed for it, so an overhaul now might prevent a future issue.
Thanks, Lee.
1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,499 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,499 | I've read the same thing, Lee. Doesn't sound encouraging, does it?
Then and Now Automotive is one source...you'll need to call and talk to them next week, though. Their website isn't too informative and hasn't been updated much. 781-335-8860
There's a guy going by the assumed name of Cowboy John in Florida. I don't know a thing about him, but he might be worth talking to. He guarantees his stuff, says it is ethanol ok, looks like a regular fellow and his parts are made in the USA. 813-713-5820
Jon
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | I have used Jim Carter (once) about a year ago and so far so good. It was pretty easy, just be sure you install the check valves correctly. For an added measure I put sealant on the pivot pin for the actuating arm. I recall the kit gives you a new pin so you can put sealant on the ends to keep crankcase oil from weeping out. Kent | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Why do folks rebuild a fuel pump when the new one's are so cheap?...........and if it still works you sell it on Ebay for $40. Delta $20-$30.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 | I have read several stories on this site about issues with poorly made fuel pumps, that is one reason. I also prefer to repair than to just replace when able.
1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | What about poorly made fuel pump kits?  What about value added? I.E. money management/time management  I do understand your point of view. There is a satisfaction factor. But if I let too many satisfaction factors stack up, I never get done with the project truck.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | We recommend "Then & Now Automotive" for fuel pump kits.
If you are going to buy a "new" pump, far better to buy a new old stock unit and then rebuild it with a kit from T & N. That way you have the best of both worlds; castings with no issue, and new internals.
We have tested some of the new name-brand (old American brand, now made elsewhere) fuel pumps at waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than 10 psi. Good luck on getting any carb to hold that pressure. And you might get one with 4 psi. Quality control?????
Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 | Thanks Jon, I’ll contact them on Monday.
Oh, and the kit you sold me for my carb (3 weeks ago?), worked perfect; so I think we got the carb number correct.
Thanks, Lee.
1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 Carburetion specialist | | Carburetion specialist Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 2,766 | Lee - glad you are happy with the kit.
Jon. Good carburetion is fuelish hot airThe most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!The Carburetor Shop | | |
| |