The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (frogfarmer, Steelonsteel, Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, 2 invisible), 176 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127324 07/15/2007 12:45 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Was welding My Radio face plate Saturday.You should see how fast my old Inner Fire wall cover burnt.I was grabbing it with my welding gloves and throwing it everywere..Scared the s... out of me.Guess I should have bought that Welding Blanket at H.F. My firewall cover was pretty brittle to start with,It is the origanal 55 that was put in,and needed a new one, ..Thats no excuse though,a Fire would have ruined all my NEW wiring..Inexperiance was my problem here..and stupidity...


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
#127325 07/15/2007 1:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Same thing happened when I was welding closed the "extra holes" in the firewall of the firetruck. Next thing I know, I smell smoke and need an extinguisher... Lucky for me, the cab had been stripped of everything except the inner floor/firewall material. It burn and smelled so bad, I took it all off after the fire. I'll never forget that experiance.


#127326 07/15/2007 6:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
A little trick i use.... keep an air hose with a airgun close at hand, it will blow a fire out faster then you started it and won't make a mess!

Also for those areas you know you'll have problems, a squirt bottle with water in it,just spray the area down first a little water works wonders!

mark

#127327 07/15/2007 6:33 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Now you tell me...


#127328 07/15/2007 10:22 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I thought of the squirt bottle Mark..really I did..but I was in such a rush. Every thing was going good, my cuts were good,had the welder fired up,got comfortable in the cab..THEN I CAUGHT ON FIRE//ha ha ha ha ..


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
#127329 07/15/2007 10:23 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
come on there has to be some good fire stories out there...


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
#127330 07/15/2007 10:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Quote
Originally posted by bodiman:
Also for those areas you know you'll have problems, a squirt bottle with water in it,just spray the area down first a little water works wonders!
Lately, my job has been to slice and dice some large booms and truck bodies. ( Don't worry, nothin' anybody would want to save.) I do a few things to keep the torch fire to a minimum. One is to assume everything is flammable and WILL catch on fire. Another is to keep a small squirt bottle of water next to me. I also keep aware of all my surroundings / exits and I know where all the fire extinguishers are hanging. Plus, I make sure my mechanic is keeping fire watch while I concentrate on the work. Makes it fun to cook a bunch of old steel!!

#127331 07/23/2007 3:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21
Seeing the suggestion on having the air hose handy I say NO WAY. Unrelated but I was welding new quarter panels on an old mustang, had the glass out and headliner rolled up in the back window. We were just about ready to vacate the shop for lunch when noticed a little smoke from inside car. Then a little flame. I got fire exstinguisher off the wall when other guy said no no! just a second! he grabbed the air hose and gave it a quick blast. Yeah baby! Blast of air and we rewally had a fire on our hands. Solved with exstinguisher. Only second time I have had a call for shop fire exstiguisher but sure glad they are there!

#127332 07/24/2007 3:28 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
keep a fire exstinguisher on the welding cart. they sell welding blankets at harbor freight and they are cheap. here is another way to get a cheap welding blanket,get on craigslist and find someone getting rid of a old worn LEATHER COUCH and cut the covering off and use that same as a welding blanket and usually free! you can also use them to make a panel beaters bag by having 2 pieces sewn together by the local shoe repair guy. just thing you might be the only guy with a blue welding blanket!

#127333 07/25/2007 5:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Always be sure to disconnect the battery when welding too. Sounds obvious, but can easily be overlooked.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0