The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MRMEROTH11, Charles in CA, 1 invisible), 152 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120

I recently found a Dual Wheel rear end that I'm trying to identify. Could use some help on this one !

Owner told me it came out of 1978 short bus with 350 v8, 400 TH auto....he drove the bus and thinks it is a 4:10 rear gear. What I see tells me I don't know what the heck I'm looking at. Thought it should be a Corp. 14 bolt, but no rear cover ???

The facts: DRW, 10 lug nut 19.5" wheels. Backing plates appox. 48" apart, out to out on rear tires approx. 84". Spring perches 40" on center + or -. Center pumpkin come out the front with no rear cover. Casting #'s on calipers tell me Chevy/GMC ....I'm thinking this is an H110 with 5:38 and taller tires might have made it feel like a 4:10 to P.O. Don't know if that would be considered a P-series or G-series ?

Sorry did not get any photos. I was to busy unbolting a set of 8 lug x 19.5's off of another rear ... "Made My Day"

So what do you guys think ? H110, H135, AAM ? I have an Eaton and a 14 bolt and it does't look like either one of those.








1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
You’re on the right track thinking it’s a H110, though I’m not sure if that’s the exact model.
It’s not a Dana for sure, which is the only other rear axle offered with disc brakes and 10 lugs on 7.25” bolt circle. If it were a Dana it’s be a 70HD or an 80.

I believe gear ratios are limited to slow and slower, making that model rear not very desirable for our 1 ton trucks. Even if better gears are available it’s 10 lug, like the 1.5 and 2 ton AD trucks, not 8 lug like the 1 ton. Though I did put a 10 lug Dana 70HD version under my 1 ton years ago, had to have single wheels made, none existed from a factory application, only dual wheels.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The backing plate distance is not a good distance to measure, better is the wheel mounting surface(WMS), which is what counts.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Thanks guys...Grigg if I didn't thank you before, I will now !!! for all the great info on 14 bolt rears and front disc options for our One Tons etc....both are in my plans. The 19.5" rims and disc brakes on this unidentified rear is what got me interested in it.

I did manage to pickup four 19.5" 8 lug rims on this visit and spotted a few more 14 bolts and a few other goodies for a return trip. So now I have Eight wheels 4 are the cone shaped center from a bread van and the newest are the more rounded centers. P.O. told me they came off a mid-60's c3500/k3500. I don't know for sure.

Thanks Ed... I do get your point on the measurement WMS, but that was just a quick reference measurement for myself. What I should have said was the inches between mounted tires was appox. 48"...since this disc rear really does not have backing plates. I'm going to take more pictures on the next visit.



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0