I recently aquired a borg Warner R-10 overdrive unit, but after tearing it down I found that the planet gears where pretty well shot. At least one of the shafts holding a planet gears into the cage sheared off, and the gear was pretty much destroyed. It didn't seem to do any damage to the ring gear, and the sun gear has some wear, but it looks like this could be from normal use. Whether it is or not, I don't no if it's worn badly enought to warrant replacement - please advise.
As far as the planet gears go, I have a couple of questions:
1.) would a machine shop be able to repair the gear set for a reasonable sum?
2.) If I have to find a replacement, could I use a gear set out of a non-GM overdrive? I know the bolt pattern is different, but with the gear cage interchange? overdrives from ford cars seem to be much more plentiful in my area.
I'm pretty sure the internal parts of the Borg Warner OD units are the same, no matter what the application. Only the outer housing was changed to accommodate different vehicles. You might be able to find internal parts somewhere like Hemmings Motor News, or similar publications. The cost to have a one-off piece made by a machine shop would probably be extremely high, with no assurance it would work. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I recently bought a Ford and a Studebaker transmission with R-10 overdrives for parts. The following is a list of parts that are common to most of these transmissions and can be used on the Muncie SM219/BW R-10. Sun Gear Pinion Cage Assy (Planetary) Sun Gear Control Plate Blocker Ring Control Plate Retainer Free Wheeling Cam Assy (W/Rollers,Cage,Retracting springs) Sun Gear Pawl Governor (Gears are specific to OEM) Solenoids (Most 12v) Ring Gear
Usually if the planetary is bad the sun gear should be replaced as well. Also, the ring gear should be inspected for damage. Fred
Last edited by rfs56trk; 06/10/20187:48 PM.
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Another SM319 came up on ebay near me, so I grabbed it. Hopefully this one is in better shape, or at least good enough that I can combine the two. Thanks again, some very useful info.