The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, 68ironhead, Gdads51, Pre '68 Dave, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, joe apple, dt235sd, PAUL Berardi), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,197
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1266527 05/21/2018 2:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
So I have a stock 59 Apache with a new rebuilt 235 sm420 tranny with 390 gears ! But ??
I want (need ) overdrive gotta cruise at 65 , so I got me a t5 transmission , with a 4.03 first, 237.1 second ,1.49 third , 1 to 1 forth , and my Hybrid 5th gear at .72 .
my sm420 is 7.1 357.1 1.70 1 to 1
My ????? what will it be like starting from a stop light ??
I do use the 7.1 in stop and go traffic and i like it ! Your 2cents please




59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 222
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 222
Starting out in 1st gear you'll hardly need to ride the clutch or give it much gas. You will be shifting in to 2nd very quickly.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
so I got me a t5 transmission , with a 4.03 first
sm420 357.1

Seems like it will be very similar to you starting out in second with your existing 420


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
I"m hoping I will be able to start out with the t5 in second gear 237.1 ???? Too high of gears from a dead stop ?
guess I will find out ?


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
I"m hoping I will be able to start out with the t5 in second gear 237.1 ???? Too high of gears from a dead stop ?
guess I will find out ?


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
You will use first gear and get used to it pretty quickly. Starting in second gear will be an option when on the level. I doubt you’ll have any issues unless you are loaded down.

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
I've got a 3.73:1 rear end and 27.5" tall tires and first gear with the T5 is only slightly low- no different than a Jeep Wrangler I used to drive.


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
Thanks gentlemen !!! I will update you soon with my results ,,
Big thank you too , Lugnutz I have read your t5 info page at least 20 times AWESOME INFO


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 55
sm420 is great for going slow , Pow Wow day parade ! I 'm thinking I might miss that low gear ?
I hope the pics show up ???
Attachments
facebook_1528038357785.jpg (98.02 KB, 45 downloads)
facebook_1528038694225.jpg (120.24 KB, 44 downloads)


59 chevy apache fleetside

2007 dodge diesel
84 toyota 4 runner, v8,propane power
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
It won't be a granny gear in first gear with the 3.90. It will be very driveable non the less.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0