The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (D B Cooper, 1955 1 Series, Rexville48, Robert Crandall, NorCal52Suburban, C10 - C90 Bill, Ponchogl), 81 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,145
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1263435 04/23/2018 6:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Guys,

Reworking my 1949 3800 and am in need of some brake components. Where is your go-to website to pick up the needed replacement parts. Looks like I will be needing brake shoes, parking brake cables, and some assorted hardware like the retaining clip to hold the shoe on. I'm planning to check my local NAPA, but doubt they will be able to get the parking cables. Thanks in advance!

Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
Jim Carter Truck Parts will reline the shoes and they also have some of the bent washer clips, though I'm not sure they have both of the sizes you need. You can probably re-use the ones that come off your truck. The brake cables have been very hard to find for the 1Tons but last year Carter had some new ones made that are supposedly very good, unlike their old version that are terrible. Check with them to see if they have their new style available, as it seemed to me to be a limited production run. I was able to find a pair of NOS aftermarket cables on eBay and purchased them only days before Carter listed their new cables for sale, also on eBay. Fortunately for me the NOS aftermarket cables worked well.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Thanks Jim, I'll give Carter a look. I had one wheel that the parking brake cable froze up and I couldn't remove the brake drum. Made for some creative use of sentence enhancers. Finally got it off and in the process broke off a portion of the shoe lining. My first inclination was to just file it down and run on +3/4 of a shoe, but I am thinking that could spell disaster.

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
If your brake shoe steels are still in decent condition, You can take them to a heavy duty truck parts dealer to get relined.
I had mine done and the quality and workmanship was impressive.
Cost about $25./shoe.


(2) 1954 3100's / foster parent - SOLD
1955.1 3100 Resto in progress
1971 GMC 2500 Custom / foster parent
1951 M37 Lawn ornament
1949 3800 Panel Resto in progress
1959 GMC 100 LB Fleetside
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 480
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 480
I got parts for my 1953 one ton from the local NAPA store, shoes, springs, and hardware kit. Pretty reasonable, although it took some time to order them in. I got my parking brake cables from Jim Carter, and they fit well.

Tim


I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1953 models are Bendix brakes I believe.



Jerry

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0