OK, this is for you Electrical Engineers out there.
’50 3100 converted to 12v with Alternator.
I don’t need nor want the rheostat (dimming) feature on my instrument panel lights. As it turns out, last night my instrument lights when out altogether, so when I got home I pulled out the light switch and discovered the spring that the rheostat slides (back & forth) on to create the dimming feature had broken. So, rather than buy a new Headlamp switch assembly, what I’d like to do is by-pass the rheostat feature and hard-wire it so that when I turn on the Headlights, the Instrument panel lights also come on bright (by-passing the rheostat).
Looking at the photo attachment, (it's the original type switch) ….would it just be a matter of putting a jumper between “Dash” and “Head”? Or is there more to it than that?
Pretty much all I know about electricity is… I flip a switch and a light comes on :-) Thanks, Jim
Put the dash lights over to the tail lamps terminal. This way you have dash lights when the headlight or the park lights are on.
Last edited by sstock; 04/19/20183:20 PM.
1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY Gallery Video of the 261 running
1964 GMC 1000 305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration