The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1261939 04/09/2018 2:26 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Well after a few hrs of driving. My new 3rd member has a low hum and is a little hot to the touch. Hums when accelerating stops when I Coast.

Before installing I did the best I could to find any slop or wear. The gear had almost no wear and so we installed it. Everything sealed up fine and the front seal shows no sign of leaking but maybe too soon to tell. The front section is where most of the heat is located.

Where do I start?

Don

Last edited by Don huffer; 04/10/2018 2:54 AM.

Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Well I guess I. On my own on this one.

I’m going to open up the rear cover and check the backlash. Should be between .005-.008. .005 seems really tight. If it needs more I can remove the locking clips and turn the left hand adjustment nut out two positions and turn the right hand adjustment nut in. Then check with a dial indicator. Piece of cake.

Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
Don, when you say “front” that says pinion bearing to me. Also if your differental has a side thrust adjustment I’d check that adjustment. It’s been discussed here a few times, search should turn up helpful info.

Good Luck, RR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by moparguy
Don, when you say “front” that says pinion bearing to me. Also if your differental has a side thrust adjustment I’d check that adjustment. It’s been discussed here a few times, search should turn up helpful info.

Good Luck, RR

It a new to me member. Could be the pinion bearing. If it is I will have it professionally rebuilt as that will be too involved for me. Adjusting the ring gear is not that hard to do and can be done in place. If I lose the hum I’m going to drive it to fail.

Thanks Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
Don, when I say "side thrust adjustment" I'm speaking to the adjuster bolt (that may be) on the right hand side of the housing when viewed from the front. It's on all HO72 and some HO52 Eaton units. You can see it in the image below.
Attachments
rear end 1.jpg (37.96 KB, 117 downloads)


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
A low hum would have the frequency of the tires, axle, etc. if it is a pinion bearing hum, it would have a higher frequency of the driveshaft/engine, so identifying the frequency should give a start.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by moparguy
Don, when I say "side thrust adjustment" I'm speaking to the adjuster bolt (that may be) on the right hand side of the housing when viewed from the front. It's on all HO72 and some HO52 Eaton units. You can see it in the image below.

Yes I understand there is an adjustment bolt. It goes in tight against the ring gear and then backs off 1/12 of a turn. I my mind this is a very strange aspect to have on a rear end. This should be set only after the backlash is set. Other wise it could hinder shifting the ring gear.

When I discuss the hum with other guys we all agree that the hum is from either the gears are to close and need to be opened or the pinion bearings are bad. Or at least this is the best place to start.

Thx Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
There is a VERY important break in procedure when a diff has new parts. Are you aware of this?

YUKON GEAR AND AXLE CO.

New Gear Break-In
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent overheating damage. Any
overloading or overheating will break down the gear oil, which will cause the ring
and pinion to fail. This can be determined by inspection and will void the gears’
warranty.
Please follow these guidelines to insure proper break-in.
Avoid heavy acceleration during the break-in process.
Drive the vehicle lightly for the first 15 to 20 miles and stop. Let the differential
cool before proceeding.
Avoid heavy acceleration for the first 100 miles.
Drive the vehicle at least 500 miles before towing to retain the gears’ warranty.
When towing for the first time, drive for a very short distances (less than 15
miles) with the full load and stop. Let the differential cool for about 20 minutes
before proceeding. Repeat this procedure two more times (45 miles total) to
fully break in the gears.
Change the oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles
and phosphoric coating shed by the gear set during the gears’ break-in period.
These towing instructions may seem unnecessary to most people, but we have
seen many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was fully
broken-in.
OVERLOADED OR OVERHEATED GEAR
OIL WILL BREAK DOWN
AND DESTROY THE RING AND PINION!


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Does the "new" unit have brand new gears and bearings, or is it just "new to you" as in a used assembly that you have just installed? A gear whine on a used unit is virtually impossible to correct, at least that's been my experience in the 55+ years I've been building rear ends. Once a wear pattern that makes a noise is established, there's virtually nothing that can be done to change it. Any adjustment you try to make can only make things worse. Unless it's making noises that change from pull to float to coast, pinion bearings probably aren't the problem. Rough carrier bearings cause a steady hum that doesn't change with load, and gets louder as speed increases.

OK- - - -just re-read your original post. A hum on acceleration only is probably a bad pinion bearing. The front bearing is fairly easy to change, only requiring the removal of the driveline flange and the bearing retainer. If you decide to change both pinion bearings be sure not to alter the pinion depth which is set by shims between the pinion carrier and the main housing.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Not saying it’s a bad idea ....but......So does any one ever “break in” their rear end on their brand new truck or car ? Or change the rear diff oil after 500 miles?

Last edited by showkey; 04/13/2018 10:10 PM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Depends on what the owners manual says. Probably not. Just informing what all the gear sellers say as FYI.
After only a few hours it was humming and hot. This is what always scared me about doing my own. Lots of parameter's to cover. I finally did one and have not run it yet.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
I was also curious when I did my 3.55 gear change last year. Checked the temp on the first 25 miles and found it barely warm to the touch. I did change the diff oil since the build upgrade.

Last edited by showkey; 04/14/2018 12:13 AM.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
[quote=Hotrod Lincoln]Does the "new" unit have brand new gears and bearings, or is it just "new to you" as in a used assembly that you have just installed? A gear whine on a used unit is virtually impossible to correct, at least that's been my experience in the 55+ years I've been building rear ends. Once a wear pattern that makes a noise is established, there's virtually nothing that can be done to change it. Any adjustment you try to make can only make things worse. Unless it's making noises that change from pull to float to coast, pinion bearings probably aren't the problem. Rough carrier bearings cause a steady hum that doesn't change with load, and gets louder as speed increases.

OK- - - -just re-read your original post. A hum on acceleration only is probably a bad pinion bearing. The front bearing is fairly easy to change, only requiring the removal of the driveline flange and the bearing retainer. If you decide to change both pinion bearings be sure not to alter the pinion depth which is set by shims between the pinion carrier and the main housing.
Jerry

Sounds like I will need to rebuild the pinion bearings. If it’s too much for me to do I’ll look for someone that can. Thanks for your response Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0