The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, Dennys28), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
T
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Hi all - I'm replacing my fuel tank on a '53 truck (leaving it behind the seat) and considering switching form a gravity feed (bottom) to a top feed (through a '54 sending unit). But as I'm thinking about the "why" the common response I find is: "if the fuel line breaks on a gravity feed, it'll drain the tank, top feed is safer!"

But is it?

Once you've primed the siphon action of a top feed, assuming the fuel line exits the floor below the tank if you break the line just below the tank, won't it siphon out the entire tank anyway?

Another example: Let's say the fuel line breaks at the fuel pump -- a point that is (let's say for argument) about as high as 1/3 up from the bottom of the fuel tank: In a gravity feed system, the fuel will be pressed out the bottom until the tank is 1/3 full, then stop. In a top feed system, won't the fuel be sucked out of the tank until it's about 1/3 full also?



Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Science says that's right.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I prefer the top feed setup. It comes with a replaceable filter sock at the end of the pickup tube on the sending unit assembly. I don't like the bottom feed setup due to the way gravity places any loose crud directly into the fuel system.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
Yes, the top feed will drain out on a broken line. I went to a top feed on a 49 when I traded for a new tank that wouldn't accept the bottom feed on/off valve. It came with a new top feed sender w/filter sock. I had reservations as I didn't know I the fuel pump would pull through a top feed. It will.
I had to remove the fuel pump to carb line for servicing and the fuel continually dripped through the fuel pump into a catch can I placed under it until I hooked the line back up.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
The 2" or so of tank depth below the top feed pickup tube also serves as a water trap so condensation doesn't get into the fuel system. It's also a good place for sediment to collect rather than ending up in carburetor jets, fuel pump check valves, etc. In the winter when condensation might become an issue, adding a pint bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol to the tank about once a month is a lot cheaper than a can of Dri-Gas, and just as effective in keeping the condensation to a minimum.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
T
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Sounds like a resounding case for Top Feed... Thanks!


1953 Chevy 3100 Frankentruck with 235 and mostly original bits.
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
Just a question. With bottom feed wouldn't the condensation work it's way out of the tank as it forms and thus not corrode the tank anyway?


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Condensation can't really work it's way out, but you would tend to get more water headed to the carburetor.
On my first Model A, I had a problem with rust flakes in the tank getting into and clogging the filter bowl and wound up putting a small standpipe on the outlet valve to keep from drawing fuel from the very bottom of the tank. I don't have that car anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if that standpipe is still in place.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0