The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (59 fleet, 3800GUY, Charles in CA, IHPWR), 144 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#125971 05/03/2007 7:10 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Hi all.. I have a 36 chev locab pu and the bed header was bent and bent for many yrs.It rubbed and rubbed angainst the back of the cab and I have an area of approx 2'x 1' that has about 50 pin holes in it.The metal around this patch is stong and sturdy but still thin. I was wondering what would be the best method of repairing this spot.. Weld in a peice? what about warpage due to the heat of welding?..Longstrand Fiberglass filler? Glue in a panel?
I need some help from people that know better than me.. Thanks in advance for your time.. Vince

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Welding is a best method. ANything else would be a temporary fix and would probably not have an appearance you would be proud of.

You will need to cut the offending area out and splice in new metal using very short spot welds.

Do not get too impatient with this. Do a spot weld on each side then go get a glass of water and drink it before you add any other spot welds.
After the next few spot welds, go play with the dog, and so on and so on.

Oh and Welcome to the Bolt.

Hope this helps.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Hmmmm...Thats gonna be a lotta glasses of water.
Between getting the water and all the trips to the bathroom,you wont have time to weld your new patch in.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
My 39 was the same way. I cut out the bad area, about 2'x 1.5', flanged the area around the cut then filled and welded. It worked great. Just skip around and weld small areas at a time. Don't get impatient and all will be well. I think overall it took me 2-3 days to weld the patch in.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
E
Junior Member
Junior Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I felt the same that weld in would be best but wanted other opinions.I noted to take plenty of time as to not heat it up. Short welds? Like 1/2" or smaller?
Thanks also for the welcome.
Stea.. did you flange the cab or the patch panel? what kind of flange tool would be best for this? Brand?
Thanks Vince

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spot or tack welds evenly spaced. Do not run any beads! That will cause the panel to warp.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Vince, I flanged the cab but either would work. I picked up a air flanger/punch combo at Habour Freight. It did the job in short order.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0