The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, panel fan), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Out of desperation, I am installing the shop conduit myself.
HERE IS A SHORT VIDEO

Last edited by Lugnutz; 03/11/2018 3:48 AM.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Sounds like a really good plan.
When I did mine, I had many double duplex outlets over the workbench, you seem to need them all. Also, one of the best things I put in my shop was a 220v tankless water heater under the sink, cheap and hot water for washing hands is a must.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Have you considered LED for lighting? I, too, have stick built a 20x30 garage the past year. I used 6 can lights in the upper crosstie and 4 4' led shoplights on each side. So far it looks like enough lighting. Once I finish the insulation I intend to use galvanized corrugated tin for the entire ceiling which will reflect more light. I have enjoyed following your garage thread and Youtube post. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a phone/camera that actually works. Have fun and good luck
Dan

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
All of my lighting will be LED. There will be 32 four foot LED bulbs up on the ceiling. That calculates out to 96 lumens per SF. I’ll have additional LED lighting above the workbench & toolbox areas. I should have plenty of lighting.
My shop will be bright.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
You will have a small fortune in lighting there but you will not be short of light. I love the LEDs, really the only way to go now these days.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Yes. Small fortune but no regrets. Do it right. Do it once.

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
What a great looking shop with plenty of great lighting. I was thinking of adding a few more lights to my shop and it looks like those LED's might be the way to go!
Thanks for the great video. Keep up the excellent work!

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Just a friendly reminder. Did you install a ground rod and #6 wire to your panel?


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Whitedog
Just a friendly reminder. Did you install a ground rod and #6 wire to your panel?
The electrician I hired did put a ground rod into the earth just outside the shop wall. However, I found a piece of ground rod laying in the yard.
I'll bet you a dozen donuts that he hit something hard and just cut it off. He seemed like a good choice but I soon learned the mistake I had made.
He's fired. I'll remove the rod and put in a new rod if this one isn't right.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Dont remove it, just add another one beside it and jumper wire. Most new construction requires two rods now, at least in my county and state.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Do I need to drill down? He may have hit the footing or a big rock. I’d have the same problem. I’m not more clever than the rest, just more honest than my electrician.

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Not sure about city/county codes where you are AHJ ( Authority having jurisdiction) Supersedes the NEC if more stringent
but new panels now require two ground rods 6 feet apart & #4 copper wire connecting them to each other then the ground bar in the panel

🎩


Tophat

1950 4400
1949 3100
1946 2 ton flatbed
1949 3800 panel
1952 3100 panel (newest one)

Queen Creek AZ
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Tophat
Not sure about city/county codes where you are AHJ ( Authority having jurisdiction) Supersedes the NEC if more stringent
but new panels now require two ground rods 6 feet apart & #4 copper wire connecting them to each other then the ground bar in the panel

🎩

Here in SC, it's good enough if we just run a coat hanger out the window to the rusty car up on blocks. (but it has to be a wire coat hanger - plastic ones don't meet code).

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Step out away from the building about 12-16" and drive the ground rods down spacing them at least 6' apart. If you hit something deep, dig a trench about 12" deep, bend the rod over and then bend it back up at the end so the top of the rod is flush with grade (making a big offset). The code says there needs to be 8' buried in the ground , it doesn't have to be straight up and down. Connect everything together with one continuous piece of #6 Solid Copper from the Ground Bar to the furthest rod. Leave the ground clamps at the top of the rod exposed for the inspector to see...it's ok to cover everything in between.

Also, make sure you have a separate Ground Bar and a non-bonded Neutral Bar at the garage panel...do not install the Bonding screw or lug that comes with the panel, you only do that at the Main Service (next to the meter).

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Mike B is absolutely correct. You can just lay the conductor in the trench. This is pretty common where you have alot of rocky terrain and driving a rod is near impossible.

Depending on the inspector, sometimes they'll allow you to just ground to your re-bar.

and yes, always pull a separate ground to your main panel.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Well, I knew it! I just had to prove it to myself. The ground rod was only buried 38”. Then they just cut it off. I’m so glad I fired this guy and his crew before he ran up a big bill.
Video link.
So I’ll need to drive another rod into the ground, or can I just use 2 four foot pieces?

Last edited by Lugnutz; 03/14/2018 12:36 PM.
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Two eight footers is code out here in Phoenix 🎩

Last edited by Tophat; 03/14/2018 2:40 AM.

Tophat

1950 4400
1949 3100
1946 2 ton flatbed
1949 3800 panel
1952 3100 panel (newest one)

Queen Creek AZ
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Call the local utility or city. The length and spacing required is based off ground resistance. In my area two 8 ft 5/8 copper coated steel or zinc coated must be minimum 7 ft apart and have an unbroken #4 copper conductor run back to the panel board.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Like the others said...(2) 8' rods...the conductor also has to be solid copper wire.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0